What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

VFT's from Lowe's over-winter

I'm doing this with two VFT's I got from Lowe's in September (pics attached - they looked a lot worse when I got them, but they weren't terrible). I was going to let them go dormant outside with all my others - but I'm curious, so I'm thinking of over-wintering them with my seedlings and leaf pullings under the 125W fluorescent, very probably putting them outside in the Spring, and giving them dormancy next year.

Will be a learning experience, especially if they decline during the 2010 growing season.

I'm very curious about the odds of them putting up flower stalks over the winter.

Anyone have any input or personal insight on this experiment?

It's a tissue culture plant, probably around 8 months old. Most of its life it has been in forced growing conditions with artificial lighting and controlled temperatures. Most of life has been a bright warm sunny spring/summer day.

No harm or foul if it doesn't get dormancy conditions this year. Grow it indoors under lights at room temperatures and put it outdoors in the spring once the chances of frost are gone.

Is 125 watts the actual power consumption of the light you are considering or the equivalent light output for a 125 watt incandescent bulb? If the latter, it is probably not going to be enough unless the plant is getting direct sunlight as well.

Any carnivorous plant that I buy from Lowe's, Home Depot, etc. between Sept and February I grow indoors either under lights or on the windowsill.

You should build a lighting setup with at least four four foot fluorescent lights (AKA grow/plant shelf). Your collection is going to quickly expand any way and you'll quickly run out of room. Lights should be around 6 inches from the tops of the pots. You can always put short pots on something to raise them closer to the lights.

Thanks for the info!

The CFL I have uses 125W, it's equivalent to 550W or 600W. It puts out about 9000 lumens of 6500K light and so far all my plants are growing vigorously under it. :) They're all 5" to 8" from the light itself. 12 hour timer currently, for winter (have a Nep).

I do have three or four 4-foot electronic T12 fixtures in the basement and at least 6 Phillips Daylight Deluxe T12's, and a large metal grow rack. Once I make more room I'll set it up - I've got all the equipment and timers, just need the floor space. Currently though, the CFL is putting out more than enough for my small collection.

Back