Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: VFT overfeeding experiment

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottychaos View Post
    If your plants have been outdoors all season, they are probably trying to go dormant now..(and for some reason you arent letting them)..that could account for slowed growth..
    might have nothing to do with feeding..

Scot
    No, these are TC plants that have been under fluorescents for many many moons. They'll go outside next Spring and start their regular dormancy. They're definitely not trying to go dormant.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Veronis View Post
    Thanks for the link NON - I didn't see anything on overfeeding though, and I went through several pages - maybe I skimmed past it? Or were you just talking about the fact that he did experiments in general?
    That was aimed more towards Lil Stinkpot but yes, he conducted many feeding experiments on many species in general.

As far as nitrogen utilization goes:

Quantification of insect nitrogen utilization by the venus fly trap Dionaea muscipula catching prey with highly variable isotope signatures
    W. Schulze, E.D. Schulze, I. Schulze and R. Oren
    Journal of Experimental Botany, Volume 52, Number 358
    http://jxb.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/co...ll/52/358/1041
    Using the slopes in Fig. 5 as an indication for the partitioning of nitrogen between source and sink organs, it was estimated that about 95% (slope in Fig. 5A) of the nitrogen in young leaves, 54% (Fig. 4B) of nitrogen in storage organs, 46% (Fig. 5C) of nitrogen in roots, and 76% (Fig. 5D, E) of the nitrogen in flowers originated from the trapping source leaf in plants growing at site I and site II. Following equation 1 and taking the differences in dry weight composition (Table 2) into account, up to 75% of the nitrogen in young seedlings originates from insects at sites I and II. In large capturing plants the proportion of insect nitrogen increases to about 80% due to the higher proportion of capturing leaf biomass and lower proportion of root biomass. In large flowering plants without leaves, the fraction of insect nitrogen decreases to 68%, due to an increased fraction of root biomass and decrease in that of capturing leaf biomass.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I should wait until I get home to try to read it all. I'm at work now; my mind's still all mush.
    If you shake a rain stick, you get rain. I need a hamata stick.
    My WWWs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Veronis View Post
    No, these are TC plants that have been under fluorescents for many many moons. They'll go outside next Spring and start their regular dormancy. They're definitely not trying to go dormant.
    how many moons are we talking about?
    if its more than 12 moons, they yes, they could be trying to go dormant..even though they have always lived under grow lights..
    or if its too many moons, they might actually be starting to weaken and die from lack of rest..
    which could also skew your test results..

im just saying..
    these probably arent the best plants on which to conduct such an experiment..
    because they have never experienced a "normal" growth cycle..and you have no way of knowing how they are *supposed* to be reacting right now..

and this is definitely the worst possible time of year to conduct such an experiement..you have too many variables..too many other things that could be causing your plants to slow down, apart from feeding..

you need healthy adult plants, that have been through at least 3 or 4 dormancy cycles..in July..when you know they will be only reacting to food and no other variables..

otherwise its just really not a valid test..sorry..

Scot

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12