What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oh my GOD!

My Vft..can someone help pls..Tired already posted this three time in other forums....Went from Mad until sad...:-:)-:)-(My Vft....got black spots all over...Can they be cured???

Hi Marvin. What are your current growing conditions for your VFT?

Dude. Take deep breaths, and imagine that your in a greenhouse full of nepenthes.
VFTs look like that when they're going dormant. If a trap turns all brown, trim it off. They'll grow back in the spring. Unless squirrels tare them up like they did mine.
Good luck!

Actually now they have spring traps....the ones that go up

VFTs look like that when they're going dormant. If a trap turns all brown, trim it off. They'll grow back in the spring. .
He lives in Malaysia, which is tropical.

Is a picture possible?

Black spots all over? Sounds like it's dying fast, is it getting enough light? or is it just dying back for winter dormancy?

Maybe it hasnt gone through dormancy in a long time.?

I second Halt's opinion, along with a possible fungal/bacterial infection due to the humidity.

yes, they have to sleep during the winter or they die eventually. About 3-4 months of sleep in 35F (close to 0C) temperatures. Like a fridge.

It could also be bad water, maybe? Are you using distilled water?

Full sun ,RO (reverse osmosis,no minerel)water.Probably no dormnacy for long time? I dunno.I got them this year or last year.Maybe nursey in Malaysia know nothing about dormancy...dunno...How do I post picture...??

I'm guessing it may be on the way out. However I have a good source of info that says while the main plant will (not may) croak, it will form side bulbs where additional plants should grow from. Dormancy is required to keep the main plant alive and flowering over a longer period of time. You should check with some local guys. I was going to suggest GCS forum but I see you've already tried there. Good luck !

O. Didn't know that you lived there.
In that case, I second what droseraguy said.

Yes, dormancy. Next winter, put it in the fridge for 3-4 months.

Back