What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flowering Dionaea seedling

I get a laugh out of this every time I see it on my grow rack, so I thought I'd share. It's a seedling that I started in vitro at the end of September. The culture that it was in got contaminated so I had to deflask it about a month ago. Now it's sending up a flower stalk!
ead8110f9d0a087e994f9603.jpg

e203cdec1e72929ed526b2e2.jpg

da17cbabe53aae9f52c320e7.jpg

1944e875e5072d07aa2f6bb8.jpg

hehe, that would produce some tiny (TINY!) seed! You'll cut it off , right?

Nah, I'll let it flower. I've got thousands of them, so if this one dies, that's fine. I want to get a photo of it when the flower opens. I might even try pollinating to see if I can get seed. I have some other recently deflasked plants flowering right now too.

Oh yes, TC vigor is definitely true. Even without hormones, plants that come out of TC burst into growth and continue to grow vigorously for quite a while.

Nah, I'll let it flower. I've got thousands of them, so if this one dies, that's fine. I want to get a photo of it when the flower opens. I might even try pollinating to see if I can get seed. I have some other recently deflasked plants flowering right now too.

Matt youre :censor: cruel But if it produces seeds ,the seeds may be more weird like growing leaves as trap xD:-))

Cute - this will make it onto BobZ's site in no time, I'm sure. I hope you can get a pic of it in bloom.
~Joe

wow! thats crazy! I like it! how big will the seedlings be as adults if it can produce seed? i know nothing about vitro so forgive my lack of knowledge.

You realize that it's going to be ostracized by its peers!

Cute - this will make it onto BobZ's site in no time, I'm sure. I hope you can get a pic of it in bloom.
~Joe
I'll definitely keep my eye on it and get a photo of it when the flower opens.
wow! thats crazy! I like it! how big will the seedlings be as adults if it can produce seed? i know nothing about vitro so forgive my lack of knowledge.
I would think that any plants grown from seed that this baby sets would probably turn out to be normal sized adults. I think the fact that it's flowering right now is because it's just out of tissue culture.
I laughed out loud at this!

Haha - they're just jealous because he's an early bloomer. :p
~Joe

Back