What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does anyone here grow in culture tissue

As I would like to know more...

Thanks Noddy

It's a shame you can't buy the gel pre made...

I watched a lot of video's yesterday... But I could not see on what part you cut to use in the tissue side...

Does that make sense..

Do they grow faster or does it take just as long for the plant to grow? If the growth rate is faster by how much ?

Cheers Noddy

It's a shame you can't buy the gel pre made...
I'm not sure I understand what you're saying here. You can buy all of the ingredients, you just have to mix them. If you wanted to buy jars with gel in them, you'd have problems with contamination. The gel has to be sterile before you put any plants on it.
Do they grow faster or does it take just as long for the plant to grow? If the growth rate is faster by how much ?
Oh yes, much faster. I'm not sure you could "measure" the difference, but I was able to turn one leaf into a couple thousand plants in a matter of a 6 months. See this thread:
http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3167

Also, seedlings, which normally take 3 to 5 years to mature, can be fully grown in about 9 months.

Yep this interests me ...

But I am based in the UK... Need to know where to obtain the chemicals etc

I can't touch any of the plants till spring... However I must say it looks a wild hobby.

Bring on the white coat... NO not the one with tie ups

I noticed that one guy places he's in zip bags so if these was put with daylight that going to work.

The sad part is that you need the white tissue only, so you have to break a whole plant apart to divide unless you can do it another way.

I need to get some tools I think... to be ready

Noddy

OMG thanks for the awesome links mmlr38! i been looking for something like that for a long time

You're very welcome Millipede. There are quite a few active TCers that post on the FlytrapCare forum and we'd be glad to have another. So if you decide to try the hobby, be sure to chat with us and ask any questions you have.

Back