Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: can any one help

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clue View Post
    Hmm... I don't think that it's really minerals then. Sphagnum and minerals don't go together.
    too bad, im betting he doesn't have LIVE lfs. then we'd know for sure--live sphagnum is the best: it sings like a canary- if it's not growing well, something's wrong.
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    too bad, im betting he doesn't have LIVE lfs. then we'd know for sure--live sphagnum is the best: it sings like a canary- if it's not growing well, something's
    no its not live LFS, its dry. the few times i gave it water from the top i the water that sat in the tray was a brown color. (i dont know if this is normol or not) im guessing its not. i then Flushed the media out untill the water was clear but it was to late. i have my plants bare root in the fridge. when i took them out of ther pots the plants had very little roots on them i didint see any root rot so im kinda lost.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by amphirion View Post
    too bad, im betting he doesn't have LIVE lfs. then we'd know for sure--live sphagnum is the best: it sings like a canary- if it's not growing well, something's wrong.
    I didn't know that, I just thought that the dried stuff broke down just as well when minerals get to it. Thanks for the knowledge!

Quote Originally Posted by J-Rod
    ...the few times i gave it water from the top i the water that sat in the tray was a brown color.
    I'm pretty sure that those are tannins coming from the media. My water doesn't come out crystal clear for most of my plants unless I've flushed the soil recently.

Would you happen to have any pictures? I have seen some things (black leaves, weird growth) from my semi-dormant plants each year around November. It could be a number of different things, so it would be helpful to see what the plants look like.

I hope you figure out what's happening with them and that they have a wonderful growing season.
    "I, for one, can't wait to grow Nepenthes extincta!"
    Plant List ; blog

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clue View Post
    I didn't know that, I just thought that the dried stuff broke down just as well when minerals get to it. Thanks for the knowledge!
    no problem. actually the train of thought came from BigBella. it goes really well with the Helis. if the sphagnum looks dried out at the tips, it's a warning that your more on the dry side. if it dies--something's wrong with your water, or there are nutrient deposits that need to be flushed out etc.

@j-rod: next time you decide to prepare sphagnum moss for a planting media, try placing a bunch of it into a ziplock bag, fill it up with dH2O and let it sit for a while (over night if you have to). the dried LFS will soak up the water and then it will be good for planting. but what's the rush? if you're planning on extending dormancy for an additional 6 weeks, why not use that time to get and prepare a more suitable media that VFT's are more happy to be in?
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your mix sounds complicated. Just repot in 2:1 peat: perlite.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would you happen to have any pictures? I have seen some things (black leaves, weird growth) from my semi-dormant plants each year around November. It could be a number of different things, so it would be helpful to see what the plants look like.
    i never took any photos of my plants when they where sick and thanks for the help, i hope they take off ok this growing session.
    @j-rod: next time you decide to prepare sphagnum moss for a planting media, try placing a bunch of it into a ziplock bag, fill it up with dH2O and let it sit for a while (over night if you have to). the dried LFS will soak up the water and then it will be good for planting. but what's the rush? if you're planning on extending dormancy for an additional 6 weeks, why not use that time to get and prepare a more suitable media that VFT's are more happy to be in?
    ok ill start to get together the things i need for my media. thank you for the info.
    Your mix sounds complicated. Just repot in 2:1 peat: perlite.
    i will have to Experiment with diffrent types of media this session ill try your 2-1 peat-perlite

thank you all for the info

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    J-Rod,
    how long have you had the VFTs in question?

it sounds to me the problem might not the moss, or minerals, at all..
    the culprits could be "growing VFTs indoors" combined with "putting plants into the fridge that are not properly prepared for dormancy"..both common maladys of VFT's..

If your plants seemed fine before you put them in the fridge, but seem to be in declining health now, that could be the problem..

relevant questions:

1. Where did you buy them?
    2. When?
    3. Have they been growing indoors under grow lights the whole time you have owned them?

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd have to agree with scott on this one ( at least to a degree )

i'd be willing to bet its not a mineral burn, not because of hard water, and not because of any moss or media issue your considering, VFT's are hardy enough (with good conditions) to handle really any of those for a longer period of time than most seem to give them credit for...

you put them in the fridge? of course your growth will get smaller! thats what happens...hell you should almost expect them to die back to just a couple small rosetted leaves...

I'm not going to get started on a dormancy grow guide, or even a "outdoor vs indoor" issue... becuase frankly theres a crap load of information and threads over that exact subject on about every single forum that talks about Cp's...

but definitely no need to jump to a super elaborate problem like mineral burn... that just sounds crazy to me.

Good luck
    Chris

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast