Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: can any one help

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had my plants in a ten gallon fish tank with a glass top on it with two T8 Lights. My plants got sick back in August and didnít get any better so I put them in the fridge for there dormancy. (They were sick and looking bad Before I put them in the fridge). I just want to know whatís the best way to start them off good this session when I do take them out.

The reason I say that I think it was mineral burn is because I read a description of how a plant would grow if it were mineral burns and thatís how my plants were growing.

The weird thing is that only my plants that were In 100% LFS got sick, not the plants that were in my normal mix.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Long fibre sphagnum as a substrate should not be a problem as long as you don't keep it overly wet while the plants are dormant.

The question is how long did you have the plants before the problem began to manifest itself. Did you buy the plants from a CP nursery (mention no names as per forum rules) or at a garden center such a Lowes or WalMart?

Mineral "burn" takes months of watering with hard water to manifest. Of course very high chlorine levels can accelerate this.

The symptoms you describe can stem from other causes too:

Sunburn - this happens when a plant grown indoors or in poor light conditions is moved abruptly into full sun. You'll usually notice that formerly white portions of the petioles turn red quickly. Depending on how healthy or abrupt the change it can take 2-6 weeks for the plant to recover. A very unhealthy plant might die.

Roots drying out - this is fatal to VFTs and the symptoms are pretty much the same as you mention. Restoring water will not save the plant. Say "bye-bye". Did you buy the plant on-line or by mail order? Was it shipped bare-root or potted? Was it still moist when you recieved it? Were the roots ever exposed long enough to dry out? Did the medium ever dry out? If you bought it at a garden center was it from a fairly new shipment or one that may have been sitting there for over a few weeks. They may have been allowed to dry out but watered soon before you bought it and prior to the plant showing symptoms.

Rhizome rot - this could be a result of the plant dying or could be the cause of it going done hill. Most likely cause are fungus and molds, facilitated by too wet conditions during dormancy. The healthier a plant is going into dormancy the better chances of surviving through dormancy.

cooked plants - too much heat. Small dark pots exposed to intense sun or plants in a closed or mostly closed container exposed to direct sunlight.

Throwing an unhealthy plant into the refrigerator to try to induce a deep dormancy isn't likely to cure what ails it. Again, if it wasn't healthy going into dormancy it's not going to be healthy coming out - if it even survives. Inspect it weekly for further deterioration. Removing rotting parts and treating with a fungicide might help but if it continues to rot it's probably a write-off. The best you can hope is that enough of a germ of life will remain that it will start growing again in the spring.

Note: Some perfectly healthy plants lose all their leaves in the winter. It mainly depends on the individual plant.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J-rod View Post
    I had my plants in a ten gallon fish tank with a glass top on it with two T8 Lights. My plants got sick back in August and didnít get any better so I put them in the fridge for there dormancy. (They were sick and looking bad Before I put them in the fridge). I just want to know whatís the best way to start them off good this session when I do take them out.

The reason I say that I think it was mineral burn is because I read a description of how a plant would grow if it were mineral burns and thatís how my plants were growing.

The weird thing is that only my plants that were In 100% LFS got sick, not the plants that were in my normal mix.
    hmmm..
    well it seems you made two mistakes..
    dont feel bad, lots of first time growers do it..

mistake #1

I had my plants in a ten gallon fish tank with a glass top on it with two T8 Lights.
    really bad way to grow VFTs..they cant survive that way more than a year, probably less..

mistake #2:

My plants got sick back in August and didnít get any better so I put them in the fridge for there dormancy.
    that made it much worse..
    your plants were probably getting weak and sickly because of how you were growing them..putting them in the fridge was a big mistake..that only made their plight even worse..

you cant put VFTs in the fridge for dormancy unless they are already dormant..and they can only be already dormant if they have been growing outdoors between March and November..

so sorry..you made a few pretty major growing mistakes..your plants might not survive..
    but dont lose hope yet!
    you live in Texas right?
    this is what I would do..

take your plants out of the fridge..right now..put them outside..
    if its above 32 degrees, leave them out..
    keep them in trays of water..they might recover in the spring..

yes I know you said you cant put them outside because they might get stolen..well, its really the only chance they have..
    if you cant grow VFTs outside because they might get stolen, then you simply cant grow VFTs period..not right now anyway..not until you move.

try putting them outside..they might still pull through!
    but right now leaving them in a fridge virtually guarantees they will die..
    putting them back in a fish tank under grow lights absolutely guarantees they will die..
    outside is the only chance they have..

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The question is how long did you have the plants before the problem began to manifest itself. Did you buy the plants from a CP nursery (mention no names as per forum rules) or at a garden center such a Lowes or WalMart?
    i had them for about six months before they got sick i got my plants from lowes and two from ebay. the plants were healthy when i first got them. becouse they where growing Vigorously then they stoped.

cooked plants - too much heat. Small dark pots exposed to intense sun or plants in a closed or mostly closed container exposed to direct sunlight.
    ok know were geting some where his is more likely to be the problem, like I said earlier is that I had them in a ten-gallon fish tank with a glass lid with two T8 lights in side. And yes it got hot in side, but I thought that the heat would not harm it but I guess that made things worse. So a combination of heat and no aeration to the roots because of the 100% LFM just choked them. Thank you Not a Number for your help and advice.
    that made it much worse..
    your plants were probably getting weak and sickly because of how you were growing them..putting them in the fridge was a big mistake..that only made their plight even worse..
    Really... that sucks i thougt you could put them in the fridge the cold would induce there dormacey yes im a newbe so im new to all this and im learning from my mistakes.
    take your plants out of the fridge..right now..put them outside..
    if its above 32 degrees, leave them out..
    keep them in trays of water..they might recover in the spring..
    ok well ill take out two of my fav plants and put them out side i hope they dont end up missing in action. Thanks scott for your help and info.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Overheating makes sense, since August is often the hottest month.

Either get rid of the tank or lay it on it's side and leave it open. Or add fans to draw off some of the heat from the lamps. When you say two T8 lights do you mean two tubes or two fixtures (which can have one or two tubes). Two tubes are probably not enough when the plants are growing. You need at least 4 tubes.

Using Barry Rice's light calculator you can get a ball park reading if you have enough light.

Some of Barry Rice's tips on terrarium building. You can get some useful ideas from there.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ooo i see i will have to change things around thank you for the good advice

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    keeping them indoors is just asking for more trouble..
    they WILL die eventually if you dont get them outside right now..
    the only way they can survive long-term is to get them outdoors..

people *say* they have grown them indoors sucessfully, but its always short-term.. no one has ever offered any proof that it can be done more than 2 years straight..

Barry Rice grows them indoors temporarily..he also keeps them outdoors for much of the year so they can get a proper dormancy..the Barry Rice "proof" of indoor growing is often taken out of context.
    you simply cant do it long-term..no one ever has.
    and for a newby, its definately the worst way to go..

I just read the Barry Rice terrarium page that NON linked..
    I find it quite irresponsible that he does not mention dormancy at all!
    definately gives people a wrong impression..

he does mention dormancy on another part of his site:

http://www.sarracenia.com/faq/faq2360.html

but he should really talk about it on his terrarium page too..
    people can get the impression from his terrarium page that VFTs can just be left in the terrarium indefinately..
    which is definately not the case..

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok scott thank you for all your help and when i move in the next few months i will take my plants out side full time.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast