Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: can any one help

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottychaos View Post
    people *say* they have grown them indoors sucessfully, but its always short-term.. no one has ever offered any proof that it can be done more than 2 years straight..

I've done it...but of course i have nothing to show for it (the plant met its demise when i left for college) but here's what i did:

i placed it on a windowsill of a room that functions as an extension of the living room. because it is an extension and there are windows all around, this area of the house seems to be poorly insulated, which was perfect because it allowed the plant to get the required sunlight, and set in for dormancy. if you're growing the plant indoors, next to a south facing windowsill is the next best thing.

i believe what you wanted to say was: no one has grown VFTs in terrariums successfully....
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One can grow a VFT in a terrarium as long as the conditions are just like the Carolinas. I grow my VFT in a terrarium during the spring and summer, but when fall rolls around I put it on the window sill and let it go dormant.

-Hermes.
    "The grass withers, the flower fades. But the word of our God stands forever." (Isaiah 40:8)

My Grow List Updated Oct 22/2010.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too have grown VFT's indoors for more than 2 years straight, I guess I didnt know i'd need photo evidence of such so feel free to doubt if need be. but its definitely doable.

although it is MUCH more tedious than plopping them outside and letting them grow...

never say never

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, it's do-able if you treat dormancy correctly ie. by putting them outside in the autumn and bringing them in in the spring.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexis View Post
    Yep, it's do-able if you treat dormancy correctly ie. by putting them outside in the autumn and bringing them in in the spring.
    perhaps..

but if you live in a climate where you can overwinter them outdoors, why bring them inside?ever?

or..if you live in a climate where they can be outdoors all spring, summer and autumn, but they need to be indoors (fridge method) during the winter, why grow indoors? ever?

and putting them on "a windowsill" indoors for the winter only works if your windowsill is 35-50degrees..most windowsills are MUCH too warm in the winter..because humans like to be warm in the winter..

Scot

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexis View Post
    That's exactly what Barry Rice does. He has been growing CPs for 25 years or so.

Quote Originally Posted by scottychaos View Post
    perhaps..

but if you live in a climate where you can overwinter them outdoors, why bring them inside?ever?

or..if you live in a climate where they can be outdoors all spring, summer and autumn, but they need to be indoors (fridge method) during the winter, why grow indoors? ever?
    Because some people live in apartments that don't have outdoors areas for their own plants. Or what outdoors areas they do have gets little or no direct sunlight.

Because of insects.

Because you can.

and putting them on "a windowsill" indoors for the winter only works if your windowsill is 35-50degrees..most windowsills are MUCH too warm in the winter..because humans like to be warm in the winter..

Scot
    At yet some people have spare rooms they don't heat or perhaps don't mind dressing warm indoors. Don't presume to speak for all the human race.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My heat bill last year was 300$/month. This year I keep the at like 55 degrees at night. My recycled china cabinet turn terrarium gets down to 50 degrees on cold nights. Highlanders are happy as hell in it. With weaned down lights it is probably sufficient to overwinter a dormant temperate cp. Though,I prefer to keep them outside for space issues and it's just easier to mulch and forget until spring.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234