Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: can any one help

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

can any one help

Hi every one I have a question whatís the best way to bring back plants that are almost dead because of mineral burns?
    Iím guessing itís mineral burns. I had a few plants in 50% peat, 30% sand, and 20% perlite. These plants grow fine. But I used all my mix. So I used 100% long fibered sphagnum moss. On my remainder plants This pants grow ok at first then the new growth got smaller and smaller. With some of the new growth having black tips on the leaves like if the sun had burned them. Or deformed leaves that never opened or opened very little with no teeth on them. Can any one help me or give me some advice of how to help my plants grow strange.
    Why would 100% long fibered sphagnum moss do this or is there a specific way to prepare the moss?

I used distilled water only, I water the plants with a tray, and had them under growing lights.

Thank you for reading.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J-rod View Post
    Hi every one I have a question what’s the best way to bring back plants that are almost dead because of mineral burns?
    Easiest way: repot. If you don't have new medium to pot--flush the pot out with lots and lots of dH2O.

So I used 100% long fibered sphagnum moss.
    That will work for a while. Throw in a little perlite into the mix. Keep in mind VFTs do like their roots somewhat on the drier side of the spectrum. For watering, I would have filled up the water tray (high), let it evaporate over time, wait for a day or two, then fill it up again.

On my remainder plants This pants grow ok at first then the new growth got smaller and smaller. With some of the new growth having black tips on the leaves like if the sun had burned them. Or deformed leaves that never opened or opened very little with no teeth on them. Can any one help me or give me some advice of how to help my plants grow strange.
    Why would 100% long fibered sphagnum moss do this or is there a specific way to prepare the moss?
    1) perhaps your humidity levels are too low, or your lights are too bright. maybe your watering regimen leaves your plant constantly waterlogged (which it hates). LFS would not do what you are suggesting....unless if it isn't LFS.
    2) It's January. your plants should be sleeping right now. NOT GROWING.

I used distilled water only, I water the plants with a tray, and had them under growing lights.
    Thank you for reading.
    Where do you live? They'd do much better if you had them growing outside! Keeping that in mind, i think all your VFTs are doing poorly because they require a dormancy period from usually October through February (a good rule to follow: Halloween to Valentine's Day). You can't induce dormancy yourself because it's way too complicated: a gradual lowering of temperatures + reduced photoperiod. Don't try forcing dormancy now, it's too late for that, if they happen to survive through this time, and are able to go back into their growing phase, feed them well and prepare them for the next winter when it comes.

Happy Growing,
    Jon

PS: if your VFT happens to be slinging out any flower stalks as spring rolls by, i'd strongly advise you to clip them. Energy investment into seed is profound and at the state your plant is in, you could end up killing it. you might think you could plant the seeds but what is to guarantee that your plants would have enough energy to carry the seeds to maturity?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK Thank you for your reply

1) perhaps your humidity levels are too low, or your lights are too bright. maybe your watering regimen leaves your plant constantly waterlogged (which it hates). LFS would not do what you are suggesting....unless if it isn't LFS.
    I bought a bag of 100% long fibered sphagnum moss from Lowes. the LFS i bought from lowes looked darker in color then the ones i have seen online. im not sure if this is relevant.

It's January. your plants should be sleeping right now. NOT GROWING.
    Yes, my plants have been sleeping in the fridge for the last six weeks

Where do you live?
    I live In McAllen TX, i have them under lights becouse i live in a apartment complex if I would leave them out side they will be stolen,

Thank you Jon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do you know that they'll be stolen?
    Always interested in a trade. PM me. Growlist:http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=120564

I'm bigger than you! Hahaha!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Coloration of the sphagnum usually depends on grade quality and origin. There's a good chance that your bag of moss probably comes from canadian origin. The much lighter (and better grade) strain of sphagnum comes from New Zealand or Chile. Like I said, you should try adding in some perlite into your LFS mix to make it more airy.

6 weeks of dormancy in my humble opinion is too short--8 to 10 weeks is more of the norm I believe. But you don't have to take my word for it. Go ahead and look around the forums regarding people's Sarrs, VFTs, and temperate sundews for this year and you will see that no one's bogs have awaken from dormancy yet.

ah. that makes sense that you cant grow them outdoors...not even a windowsill? they'd do better on a window sill.

i feel ya. i live in a condominium, and there isn't a place where i can grow NA CPs...which is why i decided to go with the tropicals.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you think it's mineral burns, I'd suspect perlite to be the cause. The poorer quality ones can harbor quite a bit of minerals.
    "I, for one, can't wait to grow Nepenthes extincta!"
    Plant List ; blog

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do you know that they'll be stolen?
    i dont know for sure but i would bet money on it. So im not willing to loose my plants to a bunch of kids. The way the apartment complex is set up people walk by all the time. i cant wait to move out. so can look for a place to put them out side were they should be.
    6 weeks of dormancy in my humble opinion is too short--8 to 10 weeks is more of the norm I believe. But you don't have to take my word for it. Go ahead and look around the forums regarding people's Sarrs, VFTs, and temperate sundews for this year and you will see that no one's bogs have awaken from dormancy yet.
    LOL ok i Totally agree with you, but my plants are still in the fridge and they will be there for another 6 weeks so that would make a total of 12 weeks for their dormancy. my problems stared in August my plants got really sick at lest the ones that were in 100% LFS did. Ok so I am trying to find out whats the best way to get this little guys up and going when I get them out of the fridge around March.
    If you think it's mineral burns, I'd suspect perlite to be the cause.
    the thing is that i didint have any perlite in with the plants that got sick just 100% LFM

i would Appreciate more feed back. once again Thank you all...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J-rod View Post
    the thing is that i didint have any perlite in with the plants that got sick just 100% LFM
    Hmm... I don't think that it's really minerals then. Sphagnum and minerals don't go together.
    "I, for one, can't wait to grow Nepenthes extincta!"
    Plant List ; blog

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast