0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok hope it recovers for u

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should have just mulched them(I'm assuming you live in a area that gets cold winters). Just trim them down and cover them with about 6" of mulch. Thats what I did and we had a couple of weeks in the single digits even below zero. When it stays above 20 degrees F you can unmulch them or if you want to take them out everytime it jumps above 20 for a week or so you can. This is my first dormancy year but all the plants seem to be okay nothing mushy. My sarracenias still have good color as well.

Anyway it sounds like your plant has a bit of a battle if it survives, best of luck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I can't tell where the plant is in the pot, so I think it's gone.

I have taken the other VFTs out of the fridge. They're in the windowsill for now.

As for keeping them outside, well, here were the temps in December when I finally brought them in:
    http://www.wunderground.com/history/....html#calendar

It took 2 days for the pots to thaw out inside enough to get the plants out of them. I don't think even mulching would have helped.

My thought at this point is burying a quarter wine barrel planter and using that as a minibog. We'll see how that works.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That doesn't look much colder then were I live. In fact we had like 3 weeks below 20 degrees. The frigde method does work though. Did you spray with funguscide?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last year I 'fridged' all of my vft's and come valentine's day, I simply repotted them, placed them under a fluo light and within a couple weeks, they were growing again, no issues. When warmer weather arrived, they went straight outside and enjoyed full sun. I wouldn't think they would get shock from coming OUT of dormancy, it's more of inducing dormancy that might be difficult. VFT's seem to appreciate being a little on the drier side in comparrison to sarracenia IMO.

Sorry to hear about your loss.
    Grow list...
    http://terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114907

“Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn.” C.S. Lewis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sss View Post
    That doesn't look much colder then were I live. In fact we had like 3 weeks below 20 degrees. The frigde method does work though. Did you spray with funguscide?
    No, I don't have any funguscide, and dunno of any local sources.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...sL._SS500_.jpg Thats the kind I have seen used. I didn't use any cause I don't think you have to when you mulch your plants so it's just second hand info from me.

Anyways I have seen it at my local ace hardware in the garden section, I think I also saw it at lowes. Might be at home depot as well.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm always hesitant to do the fridge method. It just seems wrong putting any plant in pure darkness for that long. Anyway I think putting them outside in the weather shouldn't be too bad, maybe in a few weeks when it gets warmer. I'm not familiar with this "Gold Strike" is it a very uncommon cultivar? anybody have any pics?
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast