What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help me save my Gold Strike

Didn't you lose a few plants to fungus or something? I wouldn't call that "absolute...success."

^ For that matter, I can't recall ever finding any fungus on my outdoor plants, let alone any actually dying from it. The presence of disease at all suggests strongly to me that there is room for improvement.
~Joe

Why is this a debate? THEY BOTH WORK FINE. One method may work better for others even if either one would advise it or not. The fungus is not deadly, it just grows well in constant cool temperatures that the outside doesn't provide and causes no harm. On the other hand, when treated properly, dormancy can be achieved outside. What works for one isn't proof it works for all, choose the one with a higher survival rate for you. The only truth I see here is:

-both can cause the death of plants
-both happen in complete darkness
-both bring out completely healthy plants more often then not if done properly

Now can we get back on the topic of SAVING the plants as dormancy wont be coming back until another 8 months or so?

While I am a great fan of the ancient art of debate, I don't think there is need to argue here. This year I didn't use the fridge (because of unacceptable losses for me) and I didn't use the outdoors (because it gets too cold where I live). So, I did the windowsill this year, and my plants came out of it in really great shape, no fungus and more vigorous than with my other attempts. Am I saying this is the only way to do dormancy? No. What I am suggesting is that perhaps lighting plays more of a role in a dormant VFT than the current paradigm suggests. It would be interesting to do a scientific experiment to see if there is any actual difference.

-Hermes.

While I am a great fan of the ancient art of debate, I don't think there is need to argue here. This year I didn't use the fridge (because of unacceptable losses for me) and I didn't use the outdoors (because it gets too cold where I live). So, I did the windowsill this year, and my plants came out of it in really great shape, no fungus and more vigorous than with my other attempts. Am I saying this is the only way to do dormancy? No. What I am suggesting is that perhaps lighting plays more of a role in a dormant VFT than the current paradigm suggests. It would be interesting to do a scientific experiment to see if there is any actual difference.

-Hermes.

Well it makes sense that "some light" would be better than "no light" for VFT dormancy..
and "open, airy and uncovered" is better than "in a plastic bag, or buried under two feet of leaves or mulch"..thats just logical..

the BEST possibly dormancy method is..outside in coastal North Carolina! not covered at all. ;)
or a nearly identical climate..

but the point of this entire debate is simply "not everyone is that lucky"..
if you live in zone 7 or 8 of the SE USA, or along the Pacific coast, then maybe you are lucky enough to have that climate and you can leave your plants outdoors in the winter sun, uncovered...if so, thats the most ideal dormancy method of all..

But many of us *must* do the fridge method, or bury deep in an outdoor bog with heavy mulch, (which equals pitch dark, and some risk of mold)..simply because we dont live in those ideal climates..

some people still have difficulty understanding that it seems..I have no idea why..
but thats really why the fridge method exists in the first place..

Sure, im the first to agree that winter light is better than no winter light..
and uncovered is better than covered..
IF you can also achieve temps of 35-55 degrees while your plants are enjoying that winter light..thats the clincher for most of us..light isnt the problem, its the temp..

Scot

Well it makes sense that "some light" would be better than "no light" for VFT dormancy... and "open, airy and uncovered" is better than "in a plastic bag, or buried under two feet of leaves or mulch"..thats just logical..

the BEST possibly dormancy method is..outside in coastal North Carolina! not covered at all. ;)
or a nearly identical climate..

Well, that's what I thought, which is why I disagree that one method fits every situation or is the best.

but the point of this entire debate is simply "not everyone is that lucky"..
if you live in zone 7 or 8 of the SE USA, or along the Pacific coast, then maybe you are lucky enough to have that climate and you can leave your plants outdoors in the winter sun, uncovered...if so, thats the most ideal dormancy method of all..

But many of us *must* do the fridge method, or bury deep in an outdoor bog with heavy mulch, (which equals pitch dark, and some risk of mold)..simply because we dont live in those ideal climates..

I've lived in zones 4, 5, and 9, so I identify with the struggles to maintain a proper dormancy. But, let's just say, I think there are some creative solutions that are possible other than either outside or the fridge.

I just checked the almanac for back2eight's conditions. Her seasons are closer to mcantrell's than yours, with harsher temperatures that are actually lower than your own. Have you ever heard of the jet stream?

Thank you. And I haven't lost a sar or VFT yet this winter. Or any winter for that matter.

If mcartel wants to use the fridge, then for God's sake keep those plants drier man! I just wrap a slightly damp paper towel around them and check on the plants every month. I adjust things as necessary...but here in San Diego, outdoors is much better :boogie:

Back