Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Help me save my Gold Strike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help me save my Gold Strike

So my Gold Strike is still alive.

This is honestly somewhat of a shock, as it was the smallest plant placed outside with my other VFTs, and not brought in anywhere near soon enough. It's spent the last 2 and a half Months in a small fridge in my bedroom closet, doing the dormancy thing.

I recently opened my fridge and looked at my plants. Outside of a pretty bad mold problem (need to work on that), my Gold Strike... actually has some white/purple.

All of it's leaves are black and more or less gone, but it's rhizome is still healthy.

Herein lies the rub. I can't replace it, at least not easily. So I really need to try and figure out how, in 1-2 months, to bring it out of dormancy safely. I would presume that I would want to wait until the nights hover above freezing and then just repot them outside, but is there a better way? I want to maximize the chance of all my plants surviving -- but especially this plant.

Other plans would be to put it in a domed pot in the windowsill (I have a few cuttings and whatnot growing in there, I also have a lot of LFS growing in there) until it's well and truly spring, or just put it in with the rest of my tropical drosera in the windowsill.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cut all the rotten off and treat it like a cutting. IMHO It should regrow. Bury the bulb in moist media (leave the top showing) and put it under lights. That is what I would do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SDCPs View Post
    Cut all the rotten off and treat it like a cutting. IMHO It should regrow. Bury the bulb in moist media (leave the top showing) and put it under lights. That is what I would do.
    Hm, should I take it out and put it in with my current plants, in the 60-90 degree temps of my room, or should I put it outside once things stay above freezing at night, and put it in with the other VFTs that I'll be moving out?

We do have a garage that runs around 50-60 right now, I could install my plant lights out there again and put it under that, but I'm worried about the temperatures.

I'm worried that taking it straight from the fridge to the windowsill will shock it to death. Right now it's in a minifridge that's running about 38F wrapped in peat and paper towel, inside a ziplock baggie.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Should have went with my gut last time I saw it and pulled it out. Upon doing so this time, it basically fell apart into a offwhite, soggy mess.

I've placed the remnants into a pot of pure peat, after soaking them in Superthrive for a few minutes, but, well, we'll see.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry bout that. Not much of a chance now, but don't give up!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah... it has roots still, but basically the leaves all came off without any force at all. They're still red before they turn off-white. I'm hoping the off white is due to the peat moss not due to, well, rot. We'll see. I have a sad feeling it's rotted to the core.

It also makes me worry about the OTHER VFTs that I have in the fridge. It's still dropping in the high 20s at night here, but it might be time to put them outside.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    why do u have them in fridge? they dont need cold in my experience the tigger for dormancy is the hours of light Because we in the winter wet up to 75 and the minums is 45 but i see ur weather put them in an window for next year i

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by manzano167 View Post
    why do u have them in fridge? they dont need cold in my experience the tigger for dormancy is the hours of light Because we in the winter wet up to 75 and the minums is 45 but i see ur weather put them in an window for next year i
    Might try that next winter. I put them in the fridge cause I had left them outside for weeks and well, 20 degree days... yeah.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast