What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question about VFT from seeds

If I were to grow VFTs from seeds what is the ratio or likelyhood that I will end up with dente, red dragon, and red pirannah type VFTs instead of typicals?

It's not possible to get exact clones from seeds. The clones that you list can only be propagated vegetatively.

However, it's possible to get seedlings with some or all of the traits of Dente, Red Dragon, Red Piranha and others given that they come from good genetic stock.

I need to ask from which parents are you getting your seeds? If it's just a pair of typicals, you have pretty slim chances of getting a really red or dente fly trap. Oh, it DOES happen, but not as often as many of us wish.

Yes, to lil stinkpot's point.

Cultivars like Dente, Red Dragon, Red Piranha, etc were probably selectivly bred across many generations to arrive at thier present day characteristics.

My guess is you would not see anything near the characteristics of some of these cultivars with even a very large number of typical seeds. You would see some with distinct characteristics (vigorous, short hars, long hairs, more red, less red, etc...) but probably none near the extremes that some of these cultivars have.

ahh okay, thank you for answering my question. I guess I will stick to buying clones then lol

Or trading for them...

I would trade if I could but I really don't have anything

Back