What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

She lives

The oldest fly trap I have which produced seeds a year or two ago was doing pretty bad recently. The traps had eventually gotten almost as small as the traps on the new seedlings. The traps were all turning brown fast and growth had basically stopped. Well it seems somehow things turned around for her. We moved in December and I've kept all the plants just out in the sun now. The adalae and the pitcher plants are pretty pissed and doing bad but the fly trap is coming back nice!

It grew one big trap about 2 weeks ago and today it's got the tallest leaf it's had for about 3 years now growing up, looks like the trap is going to be a nice big one. Anyways, just thought it was interesting how it came back from the brink. If I remember I'll try to get some pictures.

Giving birth (seeding) takes a lot of energy, and a lot of people lose their plant
after it seeds out. Some plants simply die after seeding as part of their life cycle.
It is nature and a way different species propagate and preserve themselves.

Getting the plant to come back after seeding takes a little patience, and a lot of
people simply cut off the flower stalk as it takes too much energy out of the plant.
To propagate, leaf pullings or bulb divisions are a faster method to get mature plants,
so unless you are wanting seeds or crossing plants deliberately, you may want to
clip the flower next time.

Most importantly, congratulations on your plants recovery!
Good Growing!
:water:

Yaric! Long time no see.

You sent me seeds of the flytrap I think your talking about... Unfortunately the seedlings didn't have the perseverance the mother seems to have. :p

Congrats on keeping it alive.

Yaric! Long time no see.

You sent me seeds of the flytrap I think your talking about... Unfortunately the seedlings didn't have the perseverance the mother seems to have. :p

Congrats on keeping it alive.

Yup, that's the same plant that made those seeds. I take it the seedlings didn't survive? I still have two or three seedling plants going from that batch of seeds. One is doing better than the rest but it's still pretty small. I still have some seeds actually in the fridge I think. Not sure if they're still good or not.

I didn't really let it seed for any particular reason other than I just wanted to let the plant do it's thing. Also, who knows maybe some stray gamma rays hit one of the seed pods just right to alter it's DNA to make something cool happen in the new plant grown from seed. I'm guessing you see zero variation in leaf clippings and bulb divisions.

Yup, that's the same plant that made those seeds. I take it the seedlings didn't survive? I still have two or three seedling plants going from that batch of seeds. One is doing better than the rest but it's still pretty small. I still have some seeds actually in the fridge I think. Not sure if they're still good or not.

I didn't really let it seed for any particular reason other than I just wanted to let the plant do it's thing. Also, who knows maybe some stray gamma rays hit one of the seed pods just right to alter it's DNA to make something cool happen in the new plant grown from seed. I'm guessing you see zero variation in leaf clippings and buld divisions.

No, unfortunately they didn't. They lasted for a little while, but I don't think I was giving them enough water.
Those were the first carnivorous plant seeds I ever sowed, so I blame my own noobishness. Thanks again for sending them to me, though!

Who knows, maybe you'll end up with a cultivar-worthy plant.

Last edited:
Cultivar :-))

---------- Post added at 03:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:40 PM ----------

that's a kinda low chance too....

that's a kinda low chance too....

What do you mean 'that's kinda a low chance'? Having a plant that you think think should be a cultivar doesn't have anything to do with chance.

Back