User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Any way to get seeds from these little guys?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    correct me if im wrong, but dont some plants flower as a last resort before dying? ive witnessed this with dews frequently but havent dealt with many vfts.

~billy

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billylh View Post
    correct me if im wrong, but dont some plants flower as a last resort before dying? ive witnessed this with dews frequently but havent dealt with many vfts.

~billy
    If the plants are in poor health, any number of things will kill them, including blooming; but I have had plants bloom, annually, for over a decade without incident (though rarely allow it nowadays, since I no longer desire seed). Dionaea doesn't typically die after flowering . . .

“Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBella View Post
    If the plants in poor health, any number of things will kill them, including blooming; but I have had plants bloom, annually, for over a decade without incident. Dionaea doesn't die after flowering . . .

i didnt mean die after flowering, i meant before they die due to poor health they flower to set seed

~billy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    many organisms do this as a last ditch effort. i know polychaete worms expell gamates into the water column when they know they're about to die. i also know that certain plants, such as the aquarium plant, java fern--produce tiny plantlets on their leaves in times of high stress (i would imagine dying prematurely to be a high stress situation), and i can also testify to Drosera paradoxa place all their energy into flowering profusely before dying.

but like what BB said, Dionaea might not be the kind of organism to perform this life strategy, and most certainly, the plant is not meant to die after flowering (as opposed to Drosera cistiflora). VFTs that end up at Lowes, decline in health exponentially as they stay on the shelf. flowering for them especially in this state will contribute to their chances of mortality-- unless the VFT was recently put on the shelf or you know exactly what you are doing--ie feeding them very well, great lighting, etc...

while allowing a Lowe's VFT to flower shortly after receving it may result in a dying plant, allowing it to flower the next year should not.
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Eats genetically engineered tomatoes Sig's Avatar
    Michigan -- If you don’t like the weather, blink!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've noticed that the ones at lowes that flower have less foliage than the other ones. Not sure if that's the cause or the effect though. I haven't cut off the one with the smaller stalk yet because it seems everyone has a different opinion. I still personally think it'll die either way.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by silenceisgod View Post
    I've noticed that the ones at lowes that flower have less foliage than the other ones. Not sure if that's the cause or the effect though. I haven't cut off the one with the smaller stalk yet because it seems everyone has a different opinion. I still personally think it'll die either way.
    Give it as much sun as you are possibly able. I have "rescued" my share of garden center Dionaea, Drosera, and Darlingtonia over the years; and, unless they are actually on the verge of death, they'll be OK. My losses have been very few.

I would remove the smaller stalk; removing the other is a moot point . . .

Dionaea muscipula (a garden center rescue which only had a single leaf and a small flower stalk).

“Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

BANNED
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beautiful!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow BigBella, very nice vft.