Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: It's genetic!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did the plant that you got the seed from survive after flowering at such a small size?

---------- Post added at 10:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:41 AM ----------

Now you just need to sow some of the seeds ex-vitro and see if they still bloom as babies, to rule out the possibility of it being the conditions in TC causing them to bloom.

BANNED
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wait. Don't TC plants just age waaaaay faster than others? Hence the flowering?

Eats genetically engineered tomatoes Sig's Avatar
    Michigan -- If you donít like the weather, blink!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy View Post
    Wait. Don't TC plants just age waaaaay faster than others? Hence the flowering?

Commercial tissue culture plants do grow quickly due to being on hormones and a rich blend of nutrients. These haven't been treated, so it's probably a genuine mutation. Do the plants also grow faster than usual?
    Formerly known as Silenceisgod!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by silenceisgod View Post
    Commercial tissue culture plants do grow quickly due to being on hormones and a rich blend of nutrients. These haven't been treated, so it's probably a genuine mutation. Do the plants also grow faster than usual?
    Oh yes, they grow much faster than usual. But most plants never flower in vitro. I've germinated hundreds of seedlings in vitro now and only a handful have flowered. And none of them have germinated quicker than 5 months or so. This one flowered a couple weeks after germinating!

BANNED
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll be the first to by one!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm curious to see if the seed is sterile or not... granted I know nature does things for reasons but this is man, not Momma Nature. Then again I know nothing about TC plants so please prove me wrong! :P
    All fear violence, all are afraid of death.
    Seeing the similarity to oneself, one should not use violence or have it used.
    The Buddha
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref...r1?ref=profile

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This would be a moot point if you cut your VFT stalks....

I think to see if it's really genetic to do some non-TC propagation, like regular flower stalk cuttings or leaf cuttings.
    "I, for one, can't wait to grow Nepenthes extincta!"
    Plant List ; blog

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's interesting that so many people have concerns and doubts about the fact that the little seedlings are out of TC. I've created tens of thousands of flytraps in tissue culture and I've yet to see one mutation. While they do happen, especially when one uses hormones, I don't think that they're as common as most people here think.

Every clone I've propagated through tissue culture has been true-to-type and I've not seen any seedlings come out of tissue culture with genetic abnormalities that I would guess were caused from tissue culture. While it's possible that this particular genetic aberration (early flowering) might be a result of tissue culture, the fact that both the parent and the offspring (from a self-pollinated flower) flowered very early in their life (the parent did so in vivo, not in vitro) make it unlikely that the genetic trait for early flowering is a cause of tissue culture. I believe that a tissue-culture-induced mutation is very unlikely to be passed sexually to the next generation, but a genetic trait certainly is.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast