Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is wrong with my plant?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why is that plant the only one? And what can I do?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems like magnification time! We want to see some cool mite pics!

I keep a few eye loupes and lenses around for things like this, and they are invaluable!
    Also good for removing splinters in my fingers!

That should help you decide what to do next, for if you see them, it explains everything, including their eminent destruction!
    If you find none, then you alone must still decide! Do nothing and wait.... , look for other causes, or spray the plant "just in case". Ah, look at all the experience you are getting thru this! Looking at plants and things "up close" is not to be missed either! I would suggest getting a close-up lens of sorts anyway, if you don't already have one.

Why would they only be on this plant? Easy question! (I have had one plant colonized in my greenhouse, while nearby plants were totally unaffected!) And why...? Well, taste of course!
    In fact, I had a certain garden poppy in my yard years ago, that the aphids loved! But only this one variety! (It was an annual "drug" type poppy that used to be commonly sold because it had really nice flowers, before everyone worried that growing these would turn everyone into addicts!) Anyway, all the aphids would turn black from the resin and THEY were the ones who apparently got addicted to it! Wouldn't touch another plant, but were all over these! So yea, my vote is "taste", right after "they like it 'cause it makes them high"!

And it seems Bayer Advanced has "improved" their product with imidacloprid , as it now kills bugs and then makes you need to buy more!
    Experience is the best teacher. At least it used to be.
    But then, common sense isn't so common anymore, is it.

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=113866

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It could be mites, but it doesn't look like the symptoms I've seen when my plants get mites. Usually the leaves get small brown spots on them and the edges of the petiole brown.

As GrowinOld says, get a loupe or a magnifying glass. If you don't have any vision problems, you should be able to see them crawling around on the leaves.

For treating mites, I use Avid miticide. It seems to work well, but it's expensive. Other options are neem oil, Orethenex (by Orthene) and spraying with cold water regularly. None of these other options seem to eradicate mites though, which is why I resorted to a heavy duty miticide.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had some photos of the sort of damage I was getting but I appear to have deleted most of them from my camera without downloading them. Here are descriptions:

1) Parallel ribbing on the traps - perpendicular to the hinge/petiole - usually an early warning sign.
    2) Globular smaller traps - the margins and cilia would curl inward rather than slightly outward
    3) Knobby or pointed bumps on traps
    4) Shrunken, deformed flower buds - no flowers
    5) deformed or crestated flower stalks
    6) Sandpaper or sharkskin texture on the flower stalks and leaf bases (most people call this the petiole)

Close examination under magnification revealed the sandpaper texture was caused by mites attached or embedded into the surface of the plant. Much in the manner of a tick. The mites were reluctant to move even when prodded with a needle or tip of a knife. They could be removed by scraping or rubbing them off with a dilute alcohol solution. I even tried burning them off with a magnifying lens.

Why one plant? Your guess is a good as mine. Spider mites don't move around much. They'll be on one plant and none of the other in the same pot and then 3 or 4 pots away on another. And a few feet away a whole tray will be infested.

There are some of the bumps on the trap at 8:30 O'clock but they aren't visible in the photo

Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All the stuff about flowers is moot because I've already trimmed the stalk this year, man. And the flower stalk? was growing fine. Only after I trimmed it did this start.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12