User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sun exposure and other questions :)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Sun exposure and other questions :)

Hi!

I got a VFT and a sarr today and I have some quick questions that I would like to get out of the way I have done a lot of research and am ready to just enjoy my special little plants!

1. My VFT is very green with little orange-red coloration in the center of the traps. It was in the most shade at the nursery and my guess is that it hasn't seen any full sun in a while. Should I put it in the sun all day tomorrow, or should I just do a couple hours and work up to all day sun exposure?

2. Should I feed it to help it grow stronger, or just let it be outside?

3. I plan on re-potting when I find someone who sells peat moss that is not made by miracle grow. I see a lot of people use silica sand, where would I find that? Is peat moss/perlite (2:1) ok, or should I look into the sand also?

Here is a pic of it:

Sorry for the poor quality, it was dark and on my iPhone :P

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Both of those should be grown outside in direct sunlight. However, if you put the VFT outside, put it in the shade or under something for a couple weeks. Otherwise it will react and if it doesn't outright die, it will be in a funk for several weeks. Sarrs don't react as badly.

I am not a fan of perlite but prefer to mix sand and peat and add a layer of LFS on top. That best approximates nature and provides drainage.

No need to go out of your way to feed them. They will have the food come to them.

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quartz sand can be found at some pet stores as lizard bedding; I believe the brand is Repti-Sand. It's pretty much the same as silica so far as CPs are concerned, except I find it to be more fine and dusty than sand I've seen other growers using. Apparently play sand is a good type because Federal law requires it to be clean and non-soluble, hence they use silica. I understand that silica sand is also used as a media for pool filters. I haven't been able to find anything that's verifiably silica in either name, though, so I've just made due with the stuff from the pet store. I don't use sand much anyways; I often substitute crushed ceramic chips (Aquatic Plant Soil is the one that Schultz makes.)
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently got 2 VFTs, a sarr, and a cape sundew and I put them out into full sun after a few days of leaving them out in the afternoon and bringing them in at night (it was still dropping into the low 60's). A few days ago I made the decision to leave them out all the time (in 100% full sun) and they're really taking off. My S. Minor are turning red and filling out, my cape is flowering and my VFTs are sending up new traps and catching lots of bugs. I did notice my green typical VFT is getting a "tan" ie getting a little brown hue to some of the tops of the traps. I've also trimmed a few black traps off but I think that's just him losing his old ones to grow the new spring foliage. I've been misting them at night and keeping those trays full of lots of distilled water. Just what I'm doing- I could be wrong. I'm new at this. Good luck with your plants

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have decided to gradually get them used to full sun. I dont want to risk their health at this point. Today I put them out before sunrise, then moved them to shade at 10:30am. Tomorrow I'll move them out of the sun at 11:30, and so forth every day untill they are in full sun at the end of next week.

I am so excited to see the color change and new growth, I can hardly contain myself!
    ~~Kupcake
    Children are not just born to us, but found in windows and rescues. ~ Me

Visit my Green Thumb blog at:
    http://kupcakesgreenadventures.blogspot.com

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Generally speaking, it's best to take a gradual approach. We're receiving our plants in a somewhat weakened state, either through a plant that's been uprooted, in a dark box, for a few days or a neglected plant from a garden department.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i generally always agree with what jim says, i think a week or 2 is still pretty quick depending on where they were coming from. i put mine in full sun when i first got them, (traps pretty much were melting after catching flies). i then put them in a shaded spot where they get around 30% full sun and for the past 4 weeks ive been moving them up on the table i have them on so that they get more full sun, right now i would say they are at around 70-80% full sun during the day, next week they are just going full sun. ill post pics of how the traps have grown since i started doing this if you want.
    Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyedPiper View Post
    I recently got 2 VFTs, a sarr, and a cape sundew and I put them out into full sun after a few days of leaving them out in the afternoon and bringing them in at night (it was still dropping into the low 60's).
    just for the record..low 60's is REALLY REALLY WARM as far as the plants are concerned!
    you should only consider bringing them in at night if its dropping into the low 30's..In the early spring and late Autumn, my plants stay outside 24/7 as long as the temp is above 32..

I watch the evening news weather reports on the "questionable nights", and if the overnight forecast says 32 or higher, they stay out..even if it ends up being a little colder than the forecast, and there is a light frost, thats still no big deal..
    in the fall, I conisider a light frost a *good* thing..helps them really go dormant properly..

so low 60's? not even remotely a concern..thats downright tropical..
    make your cutoff temp 32 degrees F, Zero C, for considering them bringing them indoors at night, and your plants will be fine..
    or 35 is you really want to play it safe..40 isnt a problem at all..

actually, in practice my cutoff temp is about 27..

Scot

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast