Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "red vft" problems

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find that the "Akai Ryu" does well in slightly drier conditions than most of my other cultivars; also, they tend to die-back the most during dormancy and are the last to return in the Spring . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chibae View Post
    hmmmm, maybe I'll give a red pirahna a try then. I'm beginning to think my bog is going monochrome. My northern pitchers ended up being veinless, so they grow almost entirely green with only the faintest blush of purple along the edge of the pitchers when they are still closed, my S. jonesii turned out to be the green variant and now the VFT issue.
    thanks for the input
    You might need to get more light to the bog... considering they are nearly all all-green...
    "I, for one, can't wait to grow Nepenthes extincta!"
    Plant List ; blog

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBella View Post
    I find that the "Akai Ryu" does well in slightly drier conditions than most of my other cultivars; also, they tend to die-back the most during dormancy and are the last to return in the Spring . . .
    Good to know. That explains alot about the mold last winter.

An orchid fancier with a CP problem chibae's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The bog is located in the sunniest spot I have in the yard. It gets at least 8-9 hours a day. The interior of my VFTs traps all turn red. I may test this theroy though by getting some red sarrs and seeing how well they keep their color.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm. 8-9 hours of full sun, no shade, should be enough to turn a northern purple pitcher plant pretty purple unless it is a heterophylla form. If that's the case you could have an antho free jonesii and hetrophylla purpurea and just an issue with the Red Dragon. I guess that's possible.

Perhaps a pic would help?

An orchid fancier with a CP problem chibae's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dashman View Post
    Hmmm. 8-9 hours of full sun, no shade, should be enough to turn a northern purple pitcher plant pretty purple unless it is a heterophylla form. If that's the case you have a anto free jonesii and hetrophylla purpurea and just an issue with the Red Dragon. I guess that's possible.

Perhaps a pic would help?
    The purple pitcher is definitly northern, it actually is what's considered "vein free", it is almost entirely green but blooms with normal colored flowers. I had chosen a far northern purple pitcher purposely because I wasn't sure if a more southern one would survive winters in the barrel. From what i had learned, the further north the plants originated from, the less purple it carries.
    I'm also not surprised at the anto free jonesii, I know they exist. In fact meadowview has some for sale right now.
    I just need to add some color, other than green

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So it seems your bog consists of...

S. purpurea purpurea f. heterophylla
    S. rubra ssp jonesii antho free
    DM. Red Dragon

It sounds like you have a knack for picking finicky plants. LOL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you considered that there may be a pest involved that's causing the problems with the red VFTs? I've noticed that spider mites seem to be more drawn to red VFTs. Do you use any insecticides or miticides?

Initially my red VFTs grew a bit slower and seemed to struggle, but since I've regularly been using a miticide and insecticide, they seem to grow with the same vigor as all of my green clones.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast