Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "red vft" problems

An orchid fancier with a CP problem chibae's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"red vft" problems

Hi all. I have tried to raise red VFTs in my barrel bog without success. The typical forms all do great, but the red forms, ie red dragon and simillar named varities never make it past their second season. For some reason, by late spring the typicals are growing with vigor and the reds, after a brief growth spurt, die.
    The growing conditions are the same for both types, in fact they are grown together in the same part of the bog.
    Is there a trick to getting these red guys to grow that is different from the typicals?

Thanks for any thoughts
    chibae

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    not really. they are the same basicly besides mutations. Perhaps the place you purchase them from dont put them through dormancy, and the plants get too overworked and cripple away. Perhaps they have unhealthy plants and you shoul try somewhere else.

BANNED
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are all Dionaea, just give the red ones, alot more sun. maybe where you buy them from they have pests, or just a disease?

BANNED
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Give it more sun. Maybe pests, or disease? They have WAY more anthocyanin in them than the typicals. SO give them more sun. Do you have pictures?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Each time the plants were purchased in the spring, grew fine, allowed to go dorment with everything else (barrel bog is mulched on top and then covered with netting against digging squirrels). It's always in their second spring that I lose them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had my Red Dragon for 3 years. It is pretty slow growing compared to my other VFTs. I would try to give them as much light as you can. I'm not sure how cold or wet your winters are but I believe they are a little more sensitive as well during dormancy. At least in my experience.

I almost lost my Red Dragon this winter due to a fungal attack when I kept it a little too wet in the garage and didn't give it very good circulation for a few weeks. My other VFTs were fine, but my Red Dragon nearly kicked the bucket.

I ended up repotting it and cutting off the growth tip because it was covered in mold. It made a comeback this spring but slowly.

So I guess in my experience I have found Red Dragon touchier than others. The only other red clone I have is Red Pirahna and it grows pretty well. I have about 6 of them and got them as seedlings. They are not yet fully mature yet being in the 2-3 year old range. I have had no problems with them.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmmmm, maybe I'll give a red pirahna a try then. I'm beginning to think my bog is going monochrome. My northern pitchers ended up being veinless, so they grow almost entirely green with only the faintest blush of purple along the edge of the pitchers when they are still closed, my S. jonesii turned out to be the green variant and now the VFT issue.
    thanks for the input

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That sounds like you are not giving them enought light. All sorts of bad things can happen when sarrs and vfts are not getting enough light because the plants are in a weakened state and cannot fend off attacks from fungus, pests, etc like a healthy one could.

How much direct sun are you giving them a day. At minimum these should get at least 8 hours of direct sun. I try to give mine 10-12 and they look like this (last year).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast