Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's ailing my vft?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    K just did a full repot. Fresh media and boiled the pot for a few minutes to hopefully kill anything that might be lurking. Surprisingly, the roots and rhizome looked fantastic. Whatever it was, it starts at the tip of the traps and works its way down the leaf toward the rhizome. None of the leaves were sickly down to the rhizome, and in fact at the soil level all leaves looked healthy. The affected part of the leaves was very soft and mushy. I went ahead and pruned all the affected parts off, which left only a couple leaves. With fresh media and a good rinsing and pruning maybe this thing will pull through. I hope so; it was a beautiful plant last fall.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sounds good..
    keep us posted!

Scot

BANNED
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    he could strip the plant to pieces and hope that they will strike, and it might help, just my 2 cents...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you said you got a bit of snow at the end of may? just a couple inches even, snow is cold enough to damage growth, especially if the plant is not in dormancy
    the new growth looks healthy to me, i would venture a guess and say it was the mighty jack frost that dealt this VFT his near KO hit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope that your VFT makes a full recovery nightsky! Keep us posted.

Quote Originally Posted by scottychaos View Post
    Just looking at the photos, its very obvious it cant possibly be sunburn..
    absolutely no question..
    there is no way the sun can burn both sides of a leaf, but leave the center of the leaf unburned..(top most leaf in the first photo)
    that alone proves its not sunburn..
    Took some photos of my sunburned Cupped Trap plants for you today Scot. I took a few hundred of them out of tissue culture vessels back in winter. I grew them under lights until about a month ago, where they grew well, and then moved them outside to watch them burn up. When I saw nightsky's photo it immediately made me think of my poor sunburned Cupped Traps:

What you write above as not being possible is almost exactly what I'm seeing on many of them, isn't it? I think that the center of the leaf is less likely to burn because the tissue is thicker there. And I'm not sure why you say that both sides of the leaf can't burn?

More photos of them here:
    http://www.flytrapcare.com/carnivoro...62&albumid=369

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mmlr,
    to me, your photo of the burned VFT's looks VERY different than nightsky's pics..
    not even close..

your VFT's have a general burn..all over..there is no clear demarcation between the burned tissue and healthy green tissue..looks like your photo was probably taken several weeks after the burn? some of the leaves have turned black..that probably happened awhile after the burn..

Nightsky's VFT has areas that are clearly brown and dying, and areas that seem "unaffected" yet..still healthy and green..thats a very different scenario than your burn.

And I'm not sure why you say that both sides of the leaf can't burn?
    I didnt say both sides *cant* burn..
    I said "there is no way the sun can burn both sides of a leaf, but leave the center of the leaf unburned."
    which is true...leaf thickness has nothing to do with it..

So your photo really doesnt look anything like nightsky's photos..very different things going on there..

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

man i'm bored on my day off...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To me, looks like either some type of fungus (what did the bulb look like when you repotted?) or bad water/soil. It's hard to know which, but its definitely not sunburn. The water amount sounds fine, I find my VFT are happiest when the soil is kept just moist, I put an inch of water in the tray, let that dry up, leave the tray dry for a day or so (the peat is still moist though) and then put more water in. I have found through my personal experience that they grow best with small amounts of water, they like damp but not soggy soil. Some have success growing them wetter but mine always rot, so this method I use works best for me. Actually, my pot of bigmouth have gone from just 5 plants to now well over 30, in one year. They have filled the 8 inch pot up and will soon be moving to a 12 inch pot. I use 50:50 peaterlite, maybe you should try that sometime.
    John 3:16
    My grow list/want list
    Prior to the funeral home visit, we heard ~ "Hey'all watch this ! !"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast