Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's ailing my vft?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's ailing my vft?

'Big Mouth' grown outside. It had several healthy traps, but recently this brown/black whatever it is has taken over the plant, and rapidly at that. I've cut off several traps and leaves, and yet it spreads. Just a couple weeks ago this was a very healthy plant. 1 part sand, 1 part peat, fresh re-potted in Jan. I place it in 1/2" water, let that water dry up and then refill to 1/2" again. I'm guessing it's some kind of fungal attack, but I haven't seen this before so I'm not sure. My other vft's are fine. So, some help here please..

BANNED
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe pests, or maybe the peat has fertilizer in it. Check everything you bought for it. Maybe shock, of movement, or temperature change? Use a sulfur-based fungicide. Or [B]DILUTED[B/] neem oil.

Hope all goes well nightsky.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would guess its something bad in the media..
    doesnt look like fungus..
    it looks to me like the plant itself is dying..I dont think its external, its internal..
    (well..the *cause* is probably external..but the brown stuff is internal..its the plant itself turning brown..its not something *on* the plant..if that makes sense..)

the plant is simply sick..most likely cause is the repotting in January..perhaps the sand or peat was contaminated with something..I would immediately repot again..(dont use the same stuff as before!

I place it in 1/2" water, let that water dry up and then refill to 1/2" again.
    to me that sounds really dry..
    (I doubt thats what is wrong with the plant though..)
    I would leave 1" to 2" of water in the tray at all times..

Scot

what kind of water are you using?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like sunburn to me. How long have you been giving it full sun?
    Quote Originally Posted by scottychaos View Post
    to me that sounds really dry..
    I'd say that your watering schedule is pretty good and very similar to what I use for my flytraps. Flytraps seem to like their media just moist, not wet and not sitting in water all the time.

Your media choice is also very similar to what I use, so I doubt that's the problem unless you're using sand that's not silica sand. What kind of sand are you using? And what kind of water are you using? The problem also could be salt burn from using mineral-laden water.

It's nice to see that it's still producing new traps, but the plant is definitely under stress from something and my guess is either bad water or bad soil.

Or...you haven't used any sort of insecticide lately, have you? Orthenex seems to burn my flytraps a bit and they look similar to your flytrap once the Orthenex settles into the leaves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its definitely *not* sunburn..im 100% certain of that..
    look at the top photo in this thread..then the top-most leaf in that photo..
    the brown is all the way around the leaf, leaving green in the center..
    sunburn could never do that..
    sunburn will only burn one side, the side facing the sun..
    see here:

http://gold.mylargescale.com/scottyc...ge5a.html#burn

for some sunburn photos..
    its definitely not sunburn..

Flytraps seem to like their media just moist, not wet and not sitting in water all the time.
    maybe..but in my experience, they do fine always sitting in water..been growing them that way for 17 years..
    I would say letting a tray dry out completely is definitely "too dry"..
    they *should* always be "sitting in water all the time"!
    there should always be *some* water in the tray..exactly how much is open to debate, but IMO the tray should never be allowed to go dry..

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd say either something wrong with the soil or something wrong with the water. What is the source of the water that you are using?

-Hermes.
    "The grass withers, the flower fades. But the word of our God stands forever." (Isaiah 40:8)

My Grow List Updated Oct 22/2010.

Learning How To Multiply Indigo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems like chemical burn and over heat to me. Soil seems fine does your plant get rain wash once a while?

question 1:
    What kind of water you used?

Question 2:
    Where do you place that VFT outdoor?

For example: If you place your VFT on a tray near a cement wall or on a cement floor under direct sun you could get those result.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The important thing is to never let the roots dry out. This can certainly be achieved by keeping the trays in standing water. However a dry tray does not mean dry substrate. Peat moss after all can hold 20 times its weight in water.

I have many pots in a huge tray with lots of empty space. To fill the tray is a waste of water so I just top water them every 1-2 days depending on the weather. What works in one situation may not work or be practical in another. What works for one person may not work or be practical for another.

Nightsky: has there been any hot or cold weather snaps lately? Also look closely at the newest leaf coming from the growth point. If it is shriveled looking then there might be a problem. Also look closely to see if a flower stalk is forming. I've seen leaves die off like that just before a flower stalk begins to form.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast