What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bigmouth VFT needs repotting

Looks like my bigmouth VFT needs repotting. Last spring there were only 5 plants in this pot, now I would estimate over 20 are in there. For reference, it is in an 8 inch pot. Amazing how they have multiplied in such a short amount of time. Here is a pic of it, let me know what you guys think. Oh and btw, we have been in a drought here and I can't afford to buy distilled water, been using tap water for over a year now so either we have good tap water (comes from a well) or either these plants are hardier than most think.

P1080696.jpg

A bug's worst nightmare

LOL!!! Its firefly season :) make sure they get plenty of yummy fireflies.

I'd wait until they're dormant.

Looks happy!

Are you sure that is the Triffid Park Big Mouth clone?

Looks happy!

Are you sure that is the Triffid Park Big Mouth clone?

The person that I received it from said it was a Big Mouth Vft, but I have no clue whatsoever if it is that or what. I do know it stays low to the ground, bunches/clusters alot and has big traps.

It's a shame the description is lacking.. "large traps on very short leaves" Which fits for just about any VFT that stays in a rosette form and has good sized traps. I was mainly curious since the 'Big Mouth' I am familiar with all are quite red with much larger traps on really compact plants. I wouldn't be surprised to find there are a dozen or more different clones all called 'big mouth'

VFTBigMouthTPCR.jpg

Well unfortunately mine aren't able to get full sun all day long, but they get about 8 hours or so. If they got full sun all day they would probably be redder, in the fall with the lower sun angle they turn blood red because they get more sun.

Nice pot of hungry mouths.

And coarser cilia.

Good looking pot 'o VFTs!

It's a shame the description is lacking.. "large traps on very short leaves" Which fits for just about any VFT that stays in a rosette form and has good sized traps. I was mainly curious since the 'Big Mouth' I am familiar with all are quite red with much larger traps on really compact plants. I wouldn't be surprised to find there are a dozen or more different clones all called 'big mouth'

Hi Tony

Your plant looks like the one commonly labelled "Fine Tooth x Red".

No idea where it originates, but the teeth are quite distinctive.

Ialways had Big outh looking more like this" http://img36.imageshack.us/i/dscn9059.jpg/

Hi Alexis,

Thanks for the pic! Interesting that you should mention that. Comments about "Big Mouth" on BobZ's site.
"'Big Mouth' (T. Camilleri)
Comments: name not registered with IRA, description insufficient. Trev says “original Big Mouth clone that was around in the U.S. is the same clone as Red Purple, the Big Mouth clone we all have now came from Triffid Park in Australia and is different, I suspect it is Finetooth X Red.”. (In comparison to a conventional sized trap, 'Big Mouth' produces large traps on very short leaves.). See also “Giant Big Mouth”"

I used to grow the Triffid Park "fine tooth x red" and it was different than their "Big Mouth" which I have pictured. I would say it looked more like your plant with more teeth of a finer nature! go figure lol

I think that Tony's plant looks exactly like the several dozen 'Big Mouth' VFTs that I've received from different sources.

The flytrap in this photo:
http://img36.imageshack.us/i/dscn9059.jpg/
is definitely not like any 'Big Mouth' VFTs that I've ever seen. It does look more like the Fine Tooth X Red plants that I have, but it is different even from them.

Isn't it odd how a fly will think it's in paradise when he sees the pot, when really, it's his ticket to doom.

Back