What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Summer traps . . .

The first sizable Summer traps on my Dionaea have begun to appear in the last couple of weeks; and it is the more obscure Dirk Ventham's Giant (G14) which is taking the current lead at 4.9 cm (1.95"). Other cultivars reach their largest by the Fall . . .

Dionaea muscipula cv. "Dirk Ventham's Giant"
(aka "G14")
DVGIANT.jpg

woaahhhh!! I need that flytrap!!

Thans for sharing!

Plain whorl.

Very, very nice! My plants are finally starting to put out their larger traps too. I think B52 is still in the lead, but I don't think it's quite 1.95", though I haven't measured.

Matt, can you post a picture of a B52?

Every time I grow vfts, they never come back. But now I have Peter D'Amato's book, so I'm gonna give it another try...
Awsome trap!

Every time I grow vfts, they never come back. But now I have Peter D'Amato's book, so I'm gonna give it another try...
Awsome trap!

They are, without any doubt, the simplest plant to grow successfully. Give it a good acidic mix -- straight peat or 1:1 peat and horticultural sand, plenty of direct sun or very bright grow lights, a reasonable amount of water (but not waterlogged), observe its dormancy, and you're good to go . . .

Matt, can you post a picture of a B52?
Sure, I'll snap a couple of photos tomorrow. I let all of my B52s flower, so most of them don't look very good right now, but they're starting to put out their "post flowering traps" and those traps are pretty large.

Back