What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Some hungry mouths and a two-headed trap . . .

Here are a few shots of some of the first Summer leaves of Dionaea. Various cultivars in the mix include the "B52," "Big Mouth," Southwest Giant," "Dirk Ventham's Giant," and "Low Giant." Also, there are the beginnings of a double-headed trap on a "B52." I usually get one or two each year but it's always fun to see . . .

Dionaea muscipula (various)
DMTRAY.jpg

DMTRAY2.jpg

Dionaea muscipula "B52"
B52B.jpg

B52X2.jpg

Nice! My VFTs seem to have stopped growing. LOL! You use the same pots as me(Solo Cups).

Wow, impressive collection. I like that B52 more and more every time I see it.

Cool. I should get some VFTs.

Great looking flytraps!

Thanks all. It's just two of several trays -- and the only ones which happened to have been in direct sunlight when I took the photos.

Finally, Summer looks like it has arrived . . .

What Taargus said!

those look great. I am enjoying my little lowes special more every day, it is nothing compared to yours. I was wondering if on your two headed VFTs do both heads develop and feed? Have you tried to pull that leaf and see if you can get the two heads to grow a two headed plant?

those look great. I am enjoying my little lowes special more every day, it is nothing compared to yours. I was wondering if on your two headed VFTs do both heads develop and feed? Have you tried to pull that leaf and see if you can get the two heads to grow a two headed plant?

Thanks.

No, it's usually just a one-shot deal (and I've never seen it twice on the same plant) but both traps generally work -- at least, they have in the past. Like I mentioned before, it is not that uncommon a mutation, and I usually see it once a year or so, considering the large number of plants . . .

Beautiful!

Here's a recent shot of the double trap. Those that I have had in the past were more tightly connected to one another -- a "four-lobed" trap -- so this one is interesting. The dots there are a nasty infestation by spider mites (very bad this year in California) and those particular plants were isolated and nuked by Ortho®. Everything is fine now . . .

Dionaea muscipula cv. "B52"
DOUBLETRAP.jpg

Last edited:
Back