Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Growing VFT'S upside down...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FWIW, we tried it because my daughter wanted to. The most piss poor yield of tomatoes I've ever seen. AND they never matured properly either. The white pine seedlings seem to like growing out the top of it though. Possible bonsai material in a few years, maybe, is the only reason it's still hanging.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This would work
    WITH ALDROVANDA
    LOL.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KDodds View Post
    FWIW, we tried it because my daughter wanted to. The most piss poor yield of tomatoes I've ever seen. AND they never matured properly either. The white pine seedlings seem to like growing out the top of it though. Possible bonsai material in a few years, maybe, is the only reason it's still hanging.
    My better halfs' mother had the same results with her topsy turvy tomatoes. Those things are a total gimmick. Roots don't grow up. You want huge tomatoes take a 5 gallon bucket, drill a hole in its side about 6 inches from the bottom, fill it with perlite to the hole then put your fav soil mix to the top. You will get HUGE tomatoes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    where do you put the tomatoe? in the hole or on top of the dirt?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have often thought long and hard about growing different plants upside down.

A VFT, admittedly is probably one of the worst candidates for the experiment because they do appreciate especially strong sun, and their growth is not even remotely vertical.

However, I have thought of different methods for growing plants upside down, and although they are indeed completely unnatural, so is owning a Nepenthes in North America, so oh well, that's a totally bogus argument. Anyway, I've made a quick diagram to depict how I theorize upside down growing would be best accomplished. This is a cross-section of a pot for reference.

The plant would have to be entirely lighted by artificial means so that it isn't going against gravity by reaching for the Sun. Note how the inverse "slack potting" would essentially allow both the roots and the growth to use gravity to aid their downward growth.

The only added benefit that I would imagine would occur from growing any plant upside down would be that it would grow much faster downwards, although it would be weak, due to growing with gravity instead of against gravity. IDK, though.

LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    where do you put the tomatoe? in the hole or on top of the dirt?
    Yep. Just plant it like your putting it in regular potting soil and water until it runs from the hole.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexenthes View Post
    I have often thought long and hard about growing different plants upside down.

A VFT, admittedly is probably one of the worst candidates for the experiment because they do appreciate especially strong sun, and their growth is not even remotely vertical.

However, I have thought of different methods for growing plants upside down, and although they are indeed completely unnatural, so is owning a Nepenthes in North America, so oh well, that's a totally bogus argument. Anyway, I've made a quick diagram to depict how I theorize upside down growing would be best accomplished. This is a cross-section of a pot for reference.

The plant would have to be entirely lighted by artificial means so that it isn't going against gravity by reaching for the Sun. Note how the inverse "slack potting" would essentially allow both the roots and the growth to use gravity to aid their downward growth.

The only added benefit that I would imagine would occur from growing any plant upside down would be that it would grow much faster downwards, although it would be weak, due to growing with gravity instead of against gravity. IDK, though.

One question, how do you water it without getting electrocuted? And being that they're pretty much ever moist, how do you prevent constant dripping?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KDodds View Post
    One question, how do you water it without getting electrocuted? And being that they're pretty much ever moist, how do you prevent constant dripping?
    I think that you would avoid getting electrocuted by exercising a basic understanding of electrical currents and wiring.

Also the constant dripping would be solved by sealing off the portion of soil that is at the base of the vegetative growth.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast