What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do I create my own type of Vft?

• Thread starter fish30
  • Start date
  • Tags
    vft
Ive been wondering, how do I make my own type of vft?

Could I do it by taking a seed, and just naming it?

Thanks

That's pretty much the process Hayden. Anyone can give any name they want to any flytrap (and many people have named plants that probably aren't worth naming), but most people only name plants that are special in some way.

The process of officially registering a plant as a cultivar with the ICPS (the International Cultivar Registration Authority for carnivorous plants) is a different process that requires a detailed description and that the description be published. Then you can complete the cultivar registration form to register the name with the ICPS. More info here:
http://www.carnivorousplants.org/cultivars/cultivarsmain.html

Brilliant Matt, thanks for the help.

Hopefully ill get a special few in the ones you sent me!

@fish: it's going to be a good 3 or 4 years before you're going to find something that is special AND stable. good luck.

Yes. Call it Bob.

Seriously though, you need to have a plant that exhibits exceptional qualities. Frankly I don't think that a lot of VFT cultivars deserve their status.

Yes. Call it Bob.

Seriously though, you need to have a plant that exhibits exceptional qualities. Frankly I don't think that a lot of VFT cultivars deserve their status.

Agreed. Wayyy to many VFTs out there which require you to have a microscope in order to see the "exceptional quality" different from a typical or other cultivar....... :crazy:

In order to register a cultivar:

1) It has to be unique/different from previously registered plants
2) The traits have to be stable and reproducible in the seed offspring or clones or both
3) You have to have more than one plant with the same stable characteristics.

Yes. Call it Bob.

Agreed. Wayyy to many VFTs out there which require you to have a microscope in order to see the "exceptional quality" different from a typical or other cultivar....... :crazy:
I agree completely. Unfortunately there aren't any rules against people naming any plant they want regardless of whether or not it has exceptional qualities. Even many of the registered cultivars - particularly the red clones like Holland Red, Green Dragon and Red Dragon - are nearly indistinguishable.

Yeah, I do find that annoying how its just another plant to add to the shopping list for pretty much a name. I guess most good ones are taken, but maybe not =D

Thanks guys

Back