Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How many trigger hairs..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, guess this plant doesn't miss a meal

The pattern seems a little erratic though, maybe some outside influence is causing them to grow like that.

EDIT: on second thought, it actually looks pretty symmetrical except two hairs missing on one of the sides... Maybe you got yourself a new more efficient breed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah what's odd is except for the two missing hairs on the left side, they match up almost identically. And it's not just one plant doing this, I have around 7 plants that are producing extra trigger hairs, all of them came from the same plant via divisions, so it would seem it might be a stable trait? I sent one off to another grower so we will see what happens, if it continues doing this next year what should I do? Is it a possible cultivar or are their already ones out there like this?
    John 3:16
    My grow list/want list
    Prior to the funeral home visit, we heard ~ "Hey'all watch this ! !"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sent one off to another grower so we will see what happens...
    I'm that other grower . Yeah, thanks Dewy for picking me to experiment on your plant .

if it continues doing this next year what should I do?
    Crazy numbers of trigger hairs aren't going to do very much good. Debris, water drops, small bugs...all these will trigger the traps more readily than a normal flytrap. I have a few 6 trigger hair guys that always have every trap closed with a fly. VFTs are good at what they do already. If more trigger hairs were better, vfts in the wild would have more!

However, assuming that it's in the genes, I don't think that this plant is particularly pretty. Personally, I like the symmetry of 3 trigger hairs per side of trap; but that's just my opinion

So, I'll grow one plant and see if growing conditions affect the amount of trigger hairs produced.

By next summer we'll know for sure!

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'd probably need to send it out to more than one other grower and you'd probably have to see if clones of their clones are stable too so you're probably looking at two or three years at the bare minimum. The more variation on growing conditions the better.

Bob Ziemer could probably give you a better idea since he has registered at least one Dionaea cultivar. Tamlin could also provide some insight as he has registered several Drosera cultivars.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post
    You'd probably need to send it out to more than one other grower and you'd probably have to see if clones of their clones are stable too so you're probably looking at two or three years at the bare minimum. The more variation on growing conditions the better.

Bob Ziemer could probably give you a better idea since he has registered at least one Dionaea cultivar. Tamlin could also provide some insight as he has registered several Drosera cultivars.
    The question is, IF it's stable and continually produces multiple trigger hairs, would it even be worth it to try and register as a cultivar? Other than that it doesn't have a whole lot of difference from a typical VFT that I can tell. It does stay more greenish and only turns a light pink color even though it's in full sun, sort of like the green vft almost.
    My grow list/want list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's probably up to you to decide, Dewy. Ask yourself: Is this really worth cultivar status? Would other growers desire plants like this?

If you decide to pursue it, those that control the registration of cultivars will probably have the final say.

NAN: Dewy is sending it to one grower just to see if it still keeps the trait. Meanwhile, he'll probably be propagating them and experimenting himself. If it does, then he'll probably send it to more growers. But I can't speak for him (sorry Dewy!) In my collection, almost every vft consistently produces 6 trigger hairs, with the odd extra here and there. So, I believe that I'll be able to give it a "fair trial" at least. Also, Do remember that it costs money to ship plants to several growers...and it costs plants too!

I don't know much on the subject, so good luck Dewy, and feel free to disregard my advice and opinions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doing pretty much as SDCP's mentioned, I'm growing/propagating the one's that exhibit this characteristic so that I can send them out to other growers in the future, if this trait is consistent. As of now I have around 7 or so plants showing this, but I'm in the process of repotting them and seperating them from my other vft so I'll be able to observe them next spring and see if this process is repeated and is stable or not. Come spring time I'll most likely send a few more out if it's still producing multiple extra trigger hairs. I have noticed now that even the small vft of this type exhibit this trait. I have one with about a quarter inch trap, and another that's got a 1/8 inch trap, and they both have 10+ trigger hairs as well. It's harder to see them on these plants as they are so tiny lol, but I can see they have 10+ as well.

As far as cultivar status, I have no clue if other growers would be interested in this form? I will say it forms a very nice trap when fully grown, very wide and large compared to my other vft. The size of the one I sent you SDCP's, rivals my biggest bigmouth vft traps.. While my other typical vft with the normal amount of trigger hairs are much smaller. So it would seem that these vft produce bigger traps than my other typicals as well as more trigger hairs.
    My grow list/want list

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12