Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Three red sawtooth plants

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Three red sawtooth plants

I thought I'd try to take some good photos of the three red sawtooth flytraps I have growing in my collection. I have to admit that the differences between the three are quite minute. If you were to put all three of them next to each other without labels and ask me to tell you which one I thought was which, I'm not sure that I'd get them right. The 'Bohemian Garnet' and the "FTS Crimson Sawtooth" look especially similar right now. The cilia on the 'Scarlet Bristle' is a bit distinct from the other two, but it too is very similar in growth characteristics.

Anyway, onto the photos!

All three plants - "FTS Crimson Sawtooth" in lower left, 'Bohemian Garnet' at top (potted with "Fuzzy Tooth"), and 'Scarlet Bristle' in the lower right:

The "FTS Crimson Sawtooth" and 'Scarlet Bristle' were repotted fairly recently, so they're just now fully recovering from that.
    Crimson Sawtooth closeups:

Bohemian Garnet closeups:

Scarlet Bristle closeups:

More photos can be found here:
    http://www.flytrapcare.com/carnivoro...62&albumid=409

I'd love to hear people's comments about any differences between the clones that they're able to pick out from the photos.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After studying them I can see a subtle difference. Almost too subtle to explain. My inner id is telling me they are slightly different, but yet how?

Nice regardless. I have no sawtooth's in my collection. I will have to work on that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My saw crimson saw tooth is doing well , though, VTF's are hard for me don't quite get them, but will post a pic of my crimson this evening.
    mmlr38, hoping youll give your secret mix quantities , id like to try something different than peat and perilite next spring, or do you think i could repot now?

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beautiful plants! Crimson is doing pretty well for me as well. It's still a small plant. Biggest traps are 3/8" long.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dashman View Post
    After studying them I can see a subtle difference. Almost too subtle to explain. My inner id is telling me they are slightly different, but yet how?

Nice regardless. I have no sawtooth's in my collection. I will have to work on that.
    You'll definitely need to work on getting some sawtooth VFTs. They're one of my favorites. Particularly the red sawtooths.

Quote Originally Posted by uphwiz View Post
    My saw crimson saw tooth is doing well , though, VTF's are hard for me don't quite get them, but will post a pic of my crimson this evening.
    mmlr38, hoping youll give your secret mix quantities , id like to try something different than peat and perilite next spring, or do you think i could repot now?
    I'm glad to hear that your Crimson Sawtooth is doing well uphwiz. My "secret" mix quantities aren't really a secret. I have them written in an article on the main part of FlytrapCare.com. I use 5 parts peat, 3 parts silica sand and 2 parts perlite. I used to use 50:50 peat and perlite and the sand really makes a huge difference in soil aeration, which leads to a healthier root system, which leads to faster-growing, healthier plants.

I'd certainly repot right now if any of my plants weren't in that mix. I never wait to repot Dionaea unless they're flowering.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimscott View Post
    Beautiful plants! Crimson is doing pretty well for me as well. It's still a small plant. Biggest traps are 3/8" long.
    That's great that it's growing well for you jimscott. Most of the FTS Crimson Sawtooth VFTs are still small plants. It's somewhat crazy to think that in March 2009, FTS Crimson Sawtooth didn't even really exist as it was still a seed. That's when I put the seed in vitro and grew it into hundreds of beautiful little VFTs by the spring of 2010. I kept one of the largest ones for myself (in the photo above), but there are several others out there that are larger or just as large. Or they were, at least, when I sent them out. Hopefully they're all still doing well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks so much i get right at it, my batteries are charging so ill come back to this post and do a pic or two tomorrow evening,

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From June:

piranha

Crimson Sawtooth

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    here is mine I'm loving the coloring and veining in the leaves too. nice VFT,mmlr38

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast