Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Hyper-convex traps - help

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hyper-convex traps - help

I went out today to check on my traps (the last time I checked on them had been 3 days ago to water them, which typically lasts 3 days), and I saw some bizarrely shaped traps. I have about 40 individual plants in two different water trays. Below is a picture of a problem that is very wide spread which is affecting ALL of the plants. Usually if I see an individual problem I will resolve it - but all of my plants, within 3 days, turned out looking like this:

I would define the traps as being completely flat or hyper-convex / obtuse on nearly every trap. When I try to trigger them, they don't even do anything unless I bend them a bit first.

They were certainly not like this a few days ago. We had a wretched cold snap out here a few months ago that pruned my numbers down from around 100 to the 40 I have left... and they were doing very poorly until I got a greenhouse to put them in. They've been in that greenhouse for nearly a month, and are recovering rapidly - but then this happened.

I do have my suspicions though - my step-dad came over yesterday and sprayed "White death" (a liquid weed killer of some sort) all over my property. When I asked him, he said he sprayed it within my greenhouse, but made sure not to get any near my plants which are on a table.
    My fear is that while he did indeed spray the ground, the fumes and humidity in the greenhouse would have permeated the chemicals up into the air, and then infected the water or gotten on the plants themselves.

The nature of the traps are in such a way that I have not seen something so extensive (even through aphid damage) in the 8+ years I've been growing VFT. The traps literally are curling outward, and all of them are doing it.

I hope my suspicions about the weed killer are not correct and that its something else - but I fear humidity and evaporation of weed killer may have gotten into my VFT. If somebody knows another reason this might happen, please do post about it.
    Thanks.
    ~The Fallen and Forgotten~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridetsu View Post
    I do have my suspicions though - my step-dad came over yesterday and sprayed "White death" (a liquid weed killer of some sort) all over my property. When I asked him, he said he sprayed it within my greenhouse, but made sure not to get any near my plants which are on a table.
    My fear is that while he did indeed spray the ground, the fumes and humidity in the greenhouse would have permeated the chemicals up into the air, and then infected the water or gotten on the plants themselves.
    My guess would be with the herbicide sprayed near them as well. My friend and business partner, Steve Doonan, sprayed herbicide (dicamba) OUTSIDE of his greenhouse and the vapor found its way into the greenhouse and caused all sorts of damage to his plants. Spraying the herbicide inside the greenhouse would almost certainly affect the plants.

But I've also seen traps look like that naturally as they get older. If those are very old traps, it could be natural, but it seems to have afflicted far too many of them, many of which look to be relatively young traps, to be natural trap aging.

Hort. School dropout X 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Prob not aphid damage
    In my 12 yrs of growing aphids usually make deformed leaves starting at the base of the plant
    Every seed that you plant ,doesn't sprout.
    Every seed that sprouts, doesn't make it to maturity.
    Every cutting that you stick doesn't grow roots.
    Every cutting that roots doesn't grow to a small plant.
    Every small plant doesn't reach maturity.

Who needs speelcheck?

Come To The Light. . . JB in Utah's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I only have one thing to say to your VFTs: Get Well Soon!
    I should say something witty or remarkable but that would only prove my worth to society. To that I say meh!

The List That Grows. . . Utah Members Here!