What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"B52" and "Big Mouth" . . .

Here are a couple shots of plants with larger Summer leaves, including a "B52" clone which produces exclusively ground-hugging leaves year-round and enormous traps; and the "Big Mouth" is a plant that I have had for years, which ate flies with gusto through my college days, and has seen its share of punishment (it was once frozen solid). I had wished to post a shot of it earlier, but virtually every trap had caught something that week . . .

Dionaea muscipula cv. "B52"

B52-12.jpg

B52B-1.jpg

cv. "Big Mouth"

BIGMOUTH-3.jpg

Egads that's red!

again the nicest plants in the business , great growin and thanks for showin:-D,
how come my b52 doesn't get this red , could it b that it's not b52:-(
it had quite large traps last year, but just average and slightly pink this year

again the nicest plants in the business , great growin and thanks for showin:-D,
how come my b52 doesn't get this red , could it b that it's not b52:-(
it had quite large traps last year, but just average and slightly pink this year

Thanks . . .

Some "B52" clones I have don't get quite as red and even possess different growing characteristics -- upright through the Summer months, versus others which remain close to the ground. Part of the explanation are that there are a few clones of different Henning von Schmeling "B52" plants. The cultivar was not limited to a single source.

Here is another plant with more "typical" coloration:

Dionaea muscipula cv. "B52"
B52-9.jpg

Those are seriously nice!! :D Awesome job!!

mine, it gets atleast 9 to 10 hours of full sun,every day .

Perhaps you simply have a pale clone. As I had mentioned earlier, I have several plants which routinely exhibit varying growing characteristics; and I certainly have no doubt as to their origins, since a few were divisions of von Schmeling's plants . . .

Try it in dappled shade aka bright light and see if it reddens up

Very nice plants BigBella!

I too have noticed that sometimes B52s don't color up very well. I'm not sure what causes it. I mean, they're all genetically identical, but even in the same pot with the same exact growing conditions sometimes certain plants don't get color like others do. It's very odd.

I too have noticed that sometimes B52s don't color up very well. I'm not sure what causes it. I mean, they're all genetically identical, but even in the same pot with the same exact growing conditions sometimes certain plants don't get color like others do. It's very odd.

I also find that very strange, since most of the plants were identical in size and appearance when they were received; and it's only been with the passage of time that some variation has taken place. There remain a few plants which only gain a pinkish tinge to the leaves, regardless of the fact that they are all grown together under identical circumstances.

Perhaps it's the whole "clonal integrity" concept in tissue culture -- though the variations also extend to vegetative divisions of original non-TC plants.

Go figure . . .

That '52 is stunning David,

Butch

Thanks Butch. I am hoping that the plants increase in size as they did last Fall. They were capturing wasps.

Sweet . . .

Love that B52. Fantastic. Mine never colored up too well either. I managed to kill it (and most my other vfts) this summer, so maybe the next one I get will look good as yours.

Back