What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

To late to start VFT seeds?

I just received some southwest giant seeds and am eager to get them started. Is it to late in the year (Sept 12) to get them started? They will be tiny when it is time to go dormant. Right now I'm thinking I will start them and maybe keep half of them indoors under light for the winter and let the other half go dormant. Or would it be better to wait and plant them all next spring?

Thanks

Shouldn't be... I keep mine inside year round till they're about 1 inch leaves...

I have planted seed whenever it was available, regardless of the time of the year. Dormancy can eventually be observed down the road . . .

Start them now! You can skip dormancy as others have said. Grow all of them under lights. Seeds do better there anyway (usually).

That's a nice plant, so grow 'em well!

As others have said, there's no need to wait. Waiting only decreases the viability of the seeds. Dormancy can be skipped this first year and you can let them go dormant naturally next fall.

Cool thanks for the info! I planted them last night before bed. I knew about skipping dormancy with Sarrs but was not sure about these guys. (I guess I should say these gals)

And if you don't get several sprouts in 2 months, stratify the seed and try again. It's relatively fresh though, so that shouldn't be necessary.

I would put the seeds in a jar of rain water

14 days or so there crack open, place in a tub like I have until the weather picks up then remove the lid...

That's what I have done with good results...

Noddy

Back