Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dionaea muscipula 'Trichterfalle' - an odd flytrap clone

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ya all toothy neps should be smashed and used a cricket gut load too since they are odd looking and obviouslynot harming the wild population

Hear the Call of Nepenthes carnivoure12's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doomsday View Post
    Ya all toothy neps should be smashed and used a cricket gut load too since they are odd looking and obviouslynot harming the wild population
    How is that anything like these TC mutants? You don't see VFT's like that in the wild, and toothy neps occur naturally... they were not the result of cloning.
    -Carnivoure12
    →Growlist

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ya but tc mutants arent being released into the wild so who cares what they look like

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carnivoure12 View Post
    You don't see VFT's like that in the wild
    Have you personally inspected every flytrap that's growing in the wild to ensure that it doesn't have these odd sorts of traps?

Trictherfalle isn't really a "genetically weak" flytrap like you all are suggesting. It grows quite vigorously and with normal traps that are very good at catching bugs for most of the growing season. It usually only gets these weird traps in the fall.

And the argument about "weakening the gene pool" doesn't make much sense. It's not even known whether the trait to make the odd-looking traps is dominant or recessive. And assuming it is dominant, most growers don't live in an area where their plants will be cross pollinated with any wild-growing plants and I can't see any reason to fret about this plant's genes being part of a seed mix in cultivation. But I think all of that is irrelevant anyway because even if Trichterfalle were to be introduced into the wild, it wouldn't pose a threat because it's a vigorous growing flytrap that would likely do well in the wild and add genetic variability to the wild population of flytraps. And genetic variability is very important in nature in order to provide species with the ability to adapt and evolve.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mmlr38 View Post
    Have you personally inspected every flytrap that's growing in the wild to ensure that it doesn't have these odd sorts of traps?

Trictherfalle isn't really a "genetically weak" flytrap like you all are suggesting. It grows quite vigorously and with normal traps that are very good at catching bugs for most of the growing season. It usually only gets these weird traps in the fall.

And the argument about "weakening the gene pool" doesn't make much sense. It's not even known whether the trait to make the odd-looking traps is dominant or recessive. And assuming it is dominant, most growers don't live in an area where their plants will be cross pollinated with any wild-growing plants and I can't see any reason to fret about this plant's genes being part of a seed mix in cultivation. But I think all of that is irrelevant anyway because even if Trichterfalle were to be introduced into the wild, it wouldn't pose a threat because it's a vigorous growing flytrap that would likely do well in the wild and add genetic variability to the wild population of flytraps. And genetic variability is very important in nature in order to provide species with the ability to adapt and evolve.
    +1

If you don't like it, don't comment, very simple? :3

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mmlr38 View Post

Ya i totally agree.. Its not like there are no insane clones out there. i bet there r se some with much crazier mutations liek triple heads or something. there are thousands and in the wild biodiversity reigns. Unless you looked through them all you wouldnt know.

Also, on the gene pool thing, it isnt like people are dropping ollen from a hot air balloon over the carolinas during flowerin season. Also, if a plant isnt virused or otherwise infected, and it is weak, and it does make it into the wild,e volution suggests that it would die off.

Hear the Call of Nepenthes carnivoure12's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Valid points! I'm not arguing about variability in the wild, and I was wrong to say you may not find something like that in the wild.
    -Carnivoure12
    →Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Deja vu. I remember a very similar conversation about "abomination mutants" involving fitness of the species through human cultivars/breeds with ScottyChaos and Pyro on here before...goes hunts

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast