Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Indoor-grown specimens?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is one that I grew solely under artificial lighting a couple of years ago, it was only moved to take these picture.

I currently have a 'Petite Dragon' under artificial lighting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll be growing a few indoors... need to play around with my lighting fixtures and bulbs to see what works best for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how long of a dormancy is good enough ? I had grown one in my terrarium and about idk a month and a half ago to 2 months ago i took it out and put it in a cold window for dormancy. Is this long enough? can i put it in my grow rack or should i wait more?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rball0406 View Post
    how long of a dormancy is good enough ? I had grown one in my terrarium and about idk a month and a half ago to 2 months ago i took it out and put it in a cold window for dormancy. Is this long enough? can i put it in my grow rack or should i wait more?

Two months is barely long enough..I would go 3 months minimum...
    but..Two months is long enough only if its *actually* two months of dormancy!
    which it probably isnt in your case..

the plant does not instantly go dormant the moment you take it from the grow lights and put it in the cool window! you need to account for at least a month for the plant to go through its "going dormant" process..then it has had only a month of actually *being* dormant..so two months in the window isnt necessarily "two months of dormancy"

going in and out of dormany is a slow and gradual process..outdoors, and in the wild, plants begin "going dormant" in July! when daylight length begins to shorten..then august and september is still part of the long gradual "going dormant" process, and then the plants are fully dormant by October and November..

If you are growing indoors under lights, IMO you should put your plants in a cool windowsill in early November, let them get acclimated to decreasing daylight and decreasing temps (both are important to trigger dormancy) then leave the plant there until late February..(four months total in the window..4 to 6 weeks for "going dormant"..then 2.5 to 3 months for "being dormant") (I would just use November 1st and MArch 1st as the moving dates..makes thing easy to remember)..then in late February "Spring" can arrive again, you can put it back under the grow lights, and it should begin growing again..

In rball0406's case, I would say it hasnt been long enough yet.
    I would leave your plants alone for another month at least..two months would be better..
    at this point, its probably *just begun* to go dormant..its just starting being dormant after 6 weeks in the window..

and..you need to make sure the windowsill really is cool enough..
    you want 35 to 55 degrees for the plant to be truely dormant..at indoor room temperature, the plant wont really go dormant at all..

For all these resons, its just SO much easier and better to grow the plants outdoors!
    (come on..you know I had to at least say it!

Scot
    Last edited by scottychaos; 01-21-2011 at 05:53 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks scot, my window is less than 50, the room stays around 60 and there is ice all the way around the window as its below zero outside. I plan on trying a bog come spring but i have to be able to bring it in during winter as it gets colder than -20 for weeks at a time here in the adirondacks. Thanks for the tips

Ryan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there any evidence that VFT need dormancy? I know that they get it in their natural habitat but that is not evidence that it's actually needed, it just demonstrates a survival technique during adverse conditions. It could be that it is needed but I'd be interested to see evidence.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the examples, everyone. Prompted me to add traps to my want list. ^.^

I'd also be interested to see evidence. I assume, at this point, it's nothing more than peoples' experience with them, seeing them decline after an extended growing period.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by _ReApEr View Post
    I assume, at this point, it's nothing more than peoples' experience with them, seeing them decline after an extended growing period.
    I read plenty of anecdotal evidence, just never seen anything conclusive.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast