What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Indoor-grown specimens?

Yes, very encouraging. You've already illustrated mexican pings can be grown year round in standing water, so I'll give a venus flytrap a try and grow it exlusively indoors.

i will do the same as well i have 5 that are about the size of a penny i started from seed ill do some indoors some out and see the diference.

You've already illustrated mexican pings can be grown year round in standing water.
I do this with two out of the three Mexican pings I own. They are both growing in a standard multipurpose compost too.

To keep this going, here are a few of mine. I grow these under 4x T8 bulbs about 5" away from the plants. The photoperiod is 16 hours/day.

Red Dragon coming out of a very light, short dormancy (it was all green just a week ago), right next to a larger typical:
e1b1d040.jpg

Some other kind of VFT looking nice and colorful:
698cbb81.jpg

While I'm here - can anyone help me get an ID on this last one? If it's any help, it's a Lowes death cube VFT.

If it isnt a clone of a cultivar (which would be specified) it is a typical.. Although some typicals are special and thats how they become cultivars.. People name them

So wait... even though they look completely different, the VFT on the left in the top pic and the VFT in the bottom pic are BOTH typicals?? LOL, I just revealed my status as a complete VFT n00b.

I've got a VFT "Low Giant" growing in my indoor terrarium with a 125watt bulb. It's getting settled in but I'll post pictures in a month or so when it's growing full-swing

Red Dragon coming out of a very light, short dormancy (it was all green just a week ago), right next to a larger typical:
e1b1d040.jpg

im just curious...how do you know the Red Dragon was in a "very light, short dormancy"?
and where was it growing that would allow a very light, short dormancy?

Scot

It stopped growing and died back but didn't seem to lose all of its traps. I had it on a south facing windowsill getting temps of below 50 degrees.

So when you grow these under lights, you've never had any problem with dormancy requirements? I know dormancy is a natural response to growing conditions in nature, but it seems that to deny that, would be like going without sleep. I would imagine that growing year around under intense lighting, they would need a break from it and go into their dormant stage, to ensure healthy growth for the upcoming growing season. But I also know there's more than one way to skin a cat.

Vey good information here regarding the dionaea plants grown entirely indoors with artificial light provided. Here you can see the results which is the difference between an indoor grown and the outdoor grown.

Back