What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

From seed to miniature fly traps... (Photo Inc)

• Thread starter Noddy
  • Start date
Hi all

I thought I would post a couple of photos up, as this method is currently working better than without...

As you can see I have used a old plastic box, the nice thing about these is in the design water is retain as there's a over lapping flange...

DSCF1052.jpg

DSCF1054-1.jpg

DSCF1057.jpg

The two larger ones, they where from a plant that had sort of died and left some little growth, so I popped them in with the others from seed.

The other neat thing is you can stack them and there's still enough light and I have never had to replace the water level as it maintains it's self...

I hope you have found this useful

Many thanks Noddy

Wow really cool but you should take the lid off venusflytraps don't need high humidity i have seen nurserys grow theres in 100 degree weather and 15% humidity so please for the sake of the flytraps take the lid off it causes more bad probs. then good.

Wow really cool but you should take the lid off venusflytraps don't need high humidity i have seen nurserys grow theres in 100 degree weather and 15% humidity so please for the sake of the flytraps take the lid off it causes more bad probs. then good.

I don't see anything wrong with the setup, really. It looks clean in there and the flytraps aren't etiolated so far as I can tell.

Noddy: Really nice! How old are the seedlings? :-O

Last edited:
Ooh, always neat to see progression pics! Thanks for sharing Noddy, great job.

The plants can be kept growing like that for several more months, then they can be acclimated and "hardened off" as they mature. Keeping tiny seedlings in higher humidity resulted in less deaths than those without an enclosure, at least in my setups.

plants also grow more robust as they get bigger. if i can recall from those 100F weather nursery photos correctly, there were no seedlings present. the smaller the plant, the more prone it is to desiccation.

The first 3 photos that you have seen the plants are nearly on there second year because I did do it with out a lid and they was outside.

I knew they would struggle this winter so I brought them in and since the temperature drops at night with the lid on the it helps maintain this...

Now these are new photo's are last seasons seeds planted about Oct time, and you can see the difference... they are well on there way to catching the first lot up. Which is why I thought I would share this, please note this has been done indoors during the colder months and not the summer time.

DSCF1059.jpg

These are a little later on but again are doing well, so contary to belief it's working well...

DSCF1062.jpg

Noddy

Make sure they go outside.

Yes please make sure you put them outside in the SPRING

If the plants are left in this box what do you think will happen I know the larger to are ready to eat but you think it would be too hot for them... Or too wet since the green house I have seen one in gets very very hot indeed.

Your thoughts please

Noddy

Back