What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Venus flytrap minibog (+friends)

thez_yo

instigator
Well, this pot contains a bunch of Drosera, a wee Darlingtonia, and a bunch of Dionaea... already awake too!

P3020004.jpg

How's everyone else's Dionaea doing?

very nice cant wait for a few more months to see everything

Well so far it looks like thre out of thirteen aren't going to wake up this year and the rest have grown at least one trap slow but proceeding.

Thanks! :awesome:

Lots of hungry plants in that pot! My flytraps are just now opening their first traps of the season and my Sarracenia are sending up flowers and pitchers. Central Texas is always a tad behind Southern CA.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, the Sarracenia are doing close to zilch so far for me so I think we're even then :p

Very nice, thez!

What's the plant to the immediate right of the D. binata? I can't quite tell... Is that S. psittacina?

No i am pretty sure that's a cobra plant.

Yes indeedy, it's my little Darlingtonia :p

Hi looking good...

I only have one question here, what do you do when the winter comes as they all don't like it so cold...

Do you re-dig them back up again... ?

Noddy

Noddy they go into dormancy....die off then come back in spring.

Hmm I had a plant that's like the one at 9 o'clock position but it does not not like the cold.. last one never come back to life..

Which put me off creating such a mixture in one tub.

Noddy

my bog was frozen just a few days ago! nothing to show yet... :( it should look very impressive next year though with the amount of Drosera rotundifolia seeds i sprinkled on it :D

Well it does grow outside in San Diego where the lowest temp it sees is 45 in the dead of night, so it never really gets too cold. I think the Darlingtonia might still be pretending to be asleep, but the Dionaea and Drosera took about a month off at the end of December til mid January, and then started growing again. I do have a Drosera capillaris bud hiding in there somewhere that's still asleep that comes from Meadowview Research Station grounds, so maybe it needs to be dormant a little longer from being for a little further North.

OK, I've finally finished repotting and planting my new VFT minibog - here it is (sorry, night pic :()
P3100023.jpg

It contains my new star, Dionaea muscipula 'Korean Melody Shark':
P3100020.jpg

P3100021.jpg

P3100022.jpg

So the inhabitants are Darlingtonia, a forked leaf dew that may be Drosera binata "dichotoma", a random volunteer sundew that might be D. aliciae, D. capillaris from Meadowview Bio Research Station area, D. intermedia x capillaris, D.spathulata x capensis, a random cute red ground-covering weed that sprouted up, some live sphag, and the following VFTs: Dionaea 'Royal Red', D, 'Sawtooth', D. 'Big Mouth', D. 'B52', D. 'Korean Melody Shark', & D. 'Pink Venus'.

:drool:
Oooooooooh, quite possibly the minibog of awesomeness with the best cultivars evar!

OH YOU WENT FOR THE SHARK! :spazz:

Dear Zu.
You are for reals, the best at everything!
And I can't get over how awesome your minibog is!!!
:hail:

Wow, Dionaea 'Korean Melody Shark'. Amazing!! Looking at your bog reminds me that we are living in the future. These VFT cultivars are outlandish and futuristic.

Back