Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do VFTs need dormancy?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was afraid of that. I don't have any VFTs, but I want to get some, and I don't have a place to grow them outdoors. I know my terrarium would be fine during summer, because there is tons of light output, and the humidity is low (30% or less). I was just hoping there would be a way to avoid dormancy, but I guess for now, I will be waiting until I can get a place to put a greenhouse or at least somewhere to grow them outdoors. For now I will be sticking to only growing tropicals in my terrariums then. Thanks for the info everyone.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What plants do you already have in the terrarium?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    D. Capensis
    D. Scorpiodes
    D. Rosenna
    D. Palacea
    D. Nitidula x Pulchella
    D. Adelae
    Cephalotus Follicularis
    N. Ventrata cutting

The temp ranges from about 70F at night to about 80-85F during the day, and the humidity is really low, in the 20-30% range at most. I guess I could grow a VFT in there, then move it to my cold storage in my basement for dormancy, and then put it back in there for the growing season. I also have a highland terrarium, but I think that would be too cold for VFT and just overall wrong conditions anyways.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The pygmy sundews and Cephalotus are also seasonal plants, though not as extreme as VFTs & Sarracenias. It's somewhat misleading to categorize the plants ito broad categories (tropical / sub-tropical / temperate), since it's more like a continuum. A lot of Neps. Utricularia, and many Drosera thrive in a terrarium, but it would be ones that come from climates where the seasons don't vary much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know they are seasonal, and I change my photoperiod on the terrariums as well as decrease temperatures slightly during winter. The cephalotus and pygmies definitely slow down, and I get lots of gemmae from my pygmies every fall.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "If it aint broke.."

---------- Post added at 03:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:22 PM ----------

Hodgepodge of one section of my terrarium:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to run a death-camp for venus flytraps trying to grow them inside under lights, that is until someone advised me to grow them outdoors. I've been growing them outside in the sun for many years now, repotting them every spring, and every year the population about doubles.

The winters are a challenge in Pennsylvania, but I rigged up an old picnic cooler with some flat containers of water inside to moderate the temperature. It makes an effective cold frame. I have a removable sheet of rigid clear plastic on top that I can adjust according to the temperature so they can get some sun without getting too warm. If it's just too cold, I don't open it, and on occasions when the temperature becomes truly arctic, I just bring it into the basement just to be safe (but I probably don't need to).

VFTs really do need sunshine and they really do need to go dormant in the winter. They need to get consistently cold, but not too cold, and the day-length gives them their cues as to when it's time to sleep or wake up. They don't need to have anything done to augment humidity outside in the summer, either (like a terrarium). They do just fine without it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You also have the option of putting in the fridge if there is no place outside but beware of fugus use a sulfur based fuguside on the soil and tue plant when putting in the fridge hope this helps and very nice VFTS nepguy what size pots are those?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast