Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Yellowing Leaves

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting experiment. This is for possible treatment of soil bound parasites correct??

Seems like some pretty tough stuff

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GregNY View Post
    Interesting experiment. This is for possible treatment of soil bound parasites correct??

Seems like some pretty tough stuff
    This is an investigation of a relatively cheap root parasitic nematodes treatment
    An ad hoc setup.

BTW Update: 05Jun2011

I started this experiment yesterday. The wiggly little worms are all paralyzed and lying really still No movement, whatsoever, but this was confirmed previously anyway. I'll keep checking how the plants are doing daily.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gill_za,

VERY good experiment you have going.
    Nice to see someone here willing and patient enough to gain experience and wisdom!

You have my respect!
    Do keep us posted.
    Good Growing!
    Paul

PS: Nice job on transplanting! Plants seem to like it!

If the VFT's show signs of distress, think about flushing them out with clean water. Once the treatment is done, it may not be necessary to keep the "de-wormer" around. But indeed, you are on the cutting edge of learning what it does, and whether flushing it out is necessary.
    Good experimenting & good follow-thru!
    The techniques you learn here may become tomorrow's accepted methods! Keep up the good work!
    Experience is the best teacher. At least it used to be.
    But then, common sense isn't so common anymore, is it.

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=113866

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrowinOld View Post
    Gill_za,

VERY good experiment you have going.
    Nice to see someone here willing and patient enough to gain experience and wisdom!

You have my respect!
    Do keep us posted.
    Good Growing!
    Paul

PS: Nice job on transplanting! Plants seem to like it!

If the VFT's show signs of distress, think about flushing them out with clean water. Once the treatment is done, it may not be necessary to keep the "de-wormer" around. But indeed, you are on the cutting edge of learning what it does, and whether flushing it out is necessary.
    Good experimenting & good follow-thru!
    The techniques you learn here may become tomorrow's accepted methods! Keep up the good work!
    Thank you for the kind words. I do hope that it will work and not kill the plant before its over . Three days after the initial treatment I will topwater the plant to wash out the chemicals and will let it stay. On day ten this treatment will be repeated to take care of the eggs. After that If plant survives the procedure will be repeated in 30 days and that will be the last time.

In the mean time I plan on separating my sarracenia, and will test the chemical on one of the plants (it is also heavily infested).

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update: 15June2011

Well yesterday (14June2011, 10 days after the initial experiment) the pot was drenched with 100 more mL of the de-wormer dissolved solution. In the water from the plant I saw bunch of nematodes. Right now it looks like it does not work.

The pot will be flushed in 2 days (17June2011) with DI water. Water from the pot will be checked. I suspect I will still see worms.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update:

22June2011

Chemical had no effect on nematodes in the soil. On 17June2011 the pot was flushed with DI water and worms were present in the water.

19June2011
    I have made the 0.8% solution of Azamax (contains: azadirachtin - extract from neem cake ) following the datasheet that came with the product and flushed the pot with it.

P.S. Poor plant.

P.S.2:

---------------------------------------------------

Silva, J. C. T., Oliveira, R. D. D. L., Jham, G. N., & Aguiar, N. D. C. (2008). Effect of neem seed extracts on the development of the soybean cysts nematode. Tropical Plant Pathology, 33(3), 171-179. Retrieved from www.scopus.com

Abstract

The effect produced by neem seed extracts and a neem seed concentrate (NSC) on the mortality and development of Heterodera glycines was evaluated. Second-stage juvenile (J2) mortality produced by the extracts and NSC was determined. Soybean seedlings treated with each of the extracts (aqueous, methanolic and hexane) were inoculated with J2 and the number of females and eggs per root system determined after 30 days. Both the hexane extracts were ineffective as no statistical difference (P>0.05) in J2 mortality was observed between them and the control. No statistical difference (P>0.05) in J2 mortality (>98%) was obtained between the water extracts and methanol extract at 1000 mg L-1 treatments. The J2 percentage of mortality exponentially increased with the NSC dosages (R2=0.94). LD 50 was 42.6 mg L-1 for NSC on H. glycines. In the greenhouse experiment, the highest reduction in the number of females was 84%, obtained with the aqueous (41.6 mg L-1) and methanolic extracts (1000 mg L-1). In the same way, the highest reduction in the number of eggs, of about 90%, was obtained with the same extracts. Thus, using aqueous extracts is more suitable than the remaining extracts in field conditions. The activities of the methanol and NSC extracts were attributed to the seven tetranortritepenoids (azadirachtin H, azadirachtin A, azadirachtin B, desacetylnimbin, desacetylsalannin, nimbin and salannin) identified by reverse phase high performance liquid chromatography. Copyright by the Brazilian Phytopathological Society.
    ---------------------------------------------------

From Azamax MSDS:

Specific gravity of solution = 0.985g/mL
    % API in solution = 1.2%
    My solution prep:
    5mL Azamax diluted up to 639mL with DI water (got the 639mL from the datasheet that came with the product)
    5mL Azamax has a mass of 4.925g (converted using specific gravity) 1.2% of which is the API, thus the mass of API in 5mL of Azamax is 59.1mg
    Final concentration = 59.1mg / 0.639L = 92.49mg/L
    This is almost twice the recommended dose. I will repeat the soaking with the same prep on 29Jun2011
    Last edited by gill_za; 06-22-2011 at 11:47 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Gill,

Read thru things here again, & was wondering if the simple route of rinsing off the plants, soaking & rinsing routine a few times & then re-planting with new media & pot (& then isolating it from other infested pots/plants) resulted in eradication, or if the "buggers" returned in time.

I have liked watching your progress with the chemical de-wormers/neem/etc. routes. While I haven't yet had problems with them (knock on wood) it is good to see people are willing to look into different ways of dealing with the various bugs & problems growers are encountering.

I will look in again in a few weeks to see how the plants are doing. (The plants are actually looking a lot better after the re-potting, which I have found to generally be the case when dealing with infestations. If nothing else, it can help give a plant the upper hand again, at least for a time.)

Good Luck!
    Experience is the best teacher. At least it used to be.
    But then, common sense isn't so common anymore, is it.

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=113866

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im not sure if all this experimenting with the worms is an attempt to fix the original problem (the yellowing of leaves) or if its a "just because" experiment..an attempt to kill the worms simply because they are there, and perhaps they might be harming the plants..

IMO the yellowing of the leaves probably has nothing to do with the worms..the problem is obvious..
    its because they are being grown indoors.

Scot

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast