Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Yellowing Leaves

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yellowing Leaves

Hi.

I have two young plants growing in two different pots. Recently I noticed that some of the leaves started to become yellowish on the edges.

Please take a look at this:

Also I noticed some very small white (pinkish) mites scuttling around on the surface of soil.
    My n900 camera does not do good macro images but I'll try to post the best pict

These guys are pretty quick. I soaked the surface with 1% Neem Oil extract solution. Hopefully that will get them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You sure those weren't springtails? Kinda look springtail-shape-ish. Poke 'em and see if they don't spring away.

Unfortunately, though, I don't have any advice on the yellowing. ;c

EDIT: On second look, they look kinda round to be springtails. But I'd poke 'em anyway. XD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you move them from indoors to outdoors or something?

The symptoms displayed are similar to what would happen when growth produced under artificial lighting were suddenly exposed to full sun conditions.

If this is the case, I wouldn't worry. New growth will replace the old growth and be more accustomed to the higher light intensity.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by _ReApEr View Post
    You sure those weren't springtails? Kinda look springtail-shape-ish. Poke 'em and see if they don't spring away.

Unfortunately, though, I don't have any advice on the yellowing. ;c

EDIT: On second look, they look kinda round to be springtails. But I'd poke 'em anyway. XD
    They are round, not elongated. Have no antennae.
    Kinda look like this:

They dont seem to be gravitating towards the plant, just crawl around. Not afraid of light. I tried picking a few up with a bit of soil, they did not jump. I will try poking one today if I find them after neem oil treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by dashman
    Did you move them from indoors to outdoors or something?

The symptoms displayed are similar to what would happen when growth produced under artificial lighting were suddenly exposed to full sun conditions.

If this is the case, I wouldn't worry. New growth will replace the old growth and be more accustomed to the higher light intensity. XD
    No both plants are grown indoors under 2x32W T8 fluorescent lamps. The lamp is about 5cm away from the plants. Should I lift it higher?

I've also noticed that lately both plants spawned a bunch of small traps around the main leaves. One of the plants stopped producing big leaves/traps (even though I feed them constantly)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    5cm does seem pretty close. I grow all my plants around 6 inches (about 15cm) from my lights. Except my Cephalotus, which is around 3 inches (about 8cm) from the lights. And that's about as close as I'm comfortable with.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Springtails come in many shapes, not just elongated. How many legs are on those critter? Eight legs = mites. Six = springtails. Look at them with a 20x magnifier.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post
    Springtails come in many shapes, not just elongated. How many legs are on those critter? Eight legs = mites. Six = springtails. Look at them with a 20x magnifier.
    Heheh I will try to find one today and count.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They don't jump, rather they die when I poke them. So I sprayed the soil of both plants with 1% Neem oil extract (Garden Safe) and let the oil get absorbed. Next day both plants were top watered (weird I noticed that the water stays longer and does not drain fast) to flush out the oil. I will repeat the procedure in seven days.

P.S. I could not count the legs, no magnifying glass and by the time I catch one of them, it is dead and disfigured... Well after neem they seem to be all dead anyway.

P.S.S. More leaves are getting yellower.

UPDATE
    Can't seem to find any mites after neem treatment, but found another problem.... http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh....php?p=1016920
    Hate parasites... especially worms.... especially those that live in our guts meeaaaaahhhhh
    Last edited by gill_za; 04-27-2011 at 11:20 AM.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast