Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Observation: Red VFT's are small and don't flower

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Here's one grown by another LACPS member from last year. There's a quarter at the bottom of the picture to give an idea of scale. Who sez you can't grow 'em in terrariums?"

I think peoplecan grow them in terrariums, i just think that most of the people that tries to use a terrarium are normally newbies with the lack of knowlegde about VFT's that think they would live good in a terrarium. But once you know how exactly the plant works and watering, soil..etc then you might be able to grow them in terrariums. And if it is someone experience then he/she knows how to handle watering and all that.

By the way nice pics from the first post, and your pics!
    Last edited by jht-union; 07-13-2011 at 04:31 PM.

"Oh, now he's a philosophizer" Baylorguy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My issue is... my flytraps get easily 8 hours of direct sun a day and every cultivar I have is bright green . I cannot... for the life of me... get them to color up (was this way last year as well). Yet my flyraps inside under T5s are blood red.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thez_yo View Post
    I like your pine needles

My 'Royal Red' and 'Pink Venus' did fine all of last year and I think they'll do fine this year too.. the color of yours looks like the color of mine, so the only thing you're not doing that I am is going to rip up some cricket parts to feed them with (I feed *every* trap once a month).

Remind me not to tick you off . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Red cultivars will flower, but their seed yield usually isn't worth it. Our Akai Ryus produced a staggering 3 seeds this year....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baylorguy View Post
    My issue is... my flytraps get easily 8 hours of direct sun a day and every cultivar I have is bright green . I cannot... for the life of me... get them to color up (was this way last year as well). Yet my flyraps inside under T5s are blood red.
    I also have never gotten good color outside, but even under t8's get deep reds. /shrug

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could it also be a function of age? My red flytraps flower every Spring and achieve a very dark color while grown outside; and often attempt a second round of blooming by Fall -- but they are also several years old . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My D. 'Akai Ryu' gets nice and dark with only 4-6 hours of direct sun. Try a little dappled shade. Some plants give their best coloration with some shade, others don't.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Emerald City, currently free of flying monkeys.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thez_yo View Post
    I like your pine needles

My 'Royal Red' and 'Pink Venus' did fine all of last year and I think they'll do fine this year too.. the color of yours looks like the color of mine, so the only thing you're not doing that I am is going to rip up some cricket parts to feed them with (I feed *every* trap once a month).
    Question for you!

How do you rip em up? I was thinking of doing this so I could use 1 cricket per however many traps. So I was just wondering. I'm imagining you chopping them up with a knife all chef'd up and serving them to your VFT.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12