Thread: i think my vft is sick

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Heads View Post
    (scottychaos)-1.i bought it on the internet
    2.some months ago
    3.(yes) but in a glazed pot, i know i sound like an idiot but i put it in that pot because i thought it
    looked pretty.
    4.distilled
    5.indoors (on my window sill) but the little baby flytraps seem to like the window sill
    6.it actually cant go outside because i live in a really ghetto neighborhood
    [B]I MEAN REALLY GHETTO!
    7.even if i put it outside the sky is constantly gray im at the end of June and its still not sunny!
    Everything is ok except for:

6.it actually cant go outside because i live in a really ghetto neighborhood
    [B]I MEAN REALLY GHETTO!
    Realistically, if you cant grow VFT's outdoors, then you cant grow VFT's..
    its about 90% likely they will die within 2 years..
    about all you can do is buy new plants every Spring as old plants die off..
    Or maybe you can develope a system for getting them sucessfully through dormancy, but thats tricky, even for experienced growers, and sucess is unlikely.

but the little baby flytraps seem to like the window sill
    they dont really..they might look ok in the short term, but they wont look good long-term.

7.even if i put it outside the sky is constantly gray im at the end of June and its still not sunny
    Its not *constantly* grey..even a cloudy day outdoors is better than a sunny day indoors.

Sorry, but its unlikely your VFT's will survive long-term indoors..
    they simply are not good indoor house plants.

Scot
    Last edited by scottychaos; 07-01-2011 at 05:26 AM.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm, in 1967 I bought my first VFT. It was potted in live Sphagnum moss with a bit of perlite on the bottom of the pot. It lived in the same pot in a covered 1 gallon glass jar on NE facing windowsill of my parents kitchen in Los Angeles for the next 12 years. I watered it with Sparkletts' "Spring" water and maybe fed it flies or a tiny bit of ham 3 or 4 times a year. It flowered regularly even producing seed and seedlings (which seldom survived getting overrun by the moss). I left it in my parents care when I went away for graduate school only to find it dried out and dead when I came home during a winter break.

You'll have a difficult time persuading me that VFTs cannot be grown indoors long term.

And the last time someone that didn't want to grow them outdoors for the same reasons was convinced VFTs could only be grown outdoors the plants were promptly stolen. And not a word of apology from the "you can't grow VFTs indoors" crowd.
    Last edited by Not a Number; 07-01-2011 at 07:24 AM.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too grew them inside as a kid, along with a few common Drosera , at a South-facing window for some years, without any real issue -- and watered it with a bit of the distilled water my mother used for her iron. Occasionally, it was fed crawling insects from outside or caught things on the fly. When it rained or was especially sunny outside, it spent time in a side yard and was well-fed.

Even now, I have a rotating number of them on my windowsill, though they remain outside for the most part. The humidity -- I'm less than a half a mile from the beach -- does wonders; and i haven't had t o spray them or keep them covered in years . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Eats genetically engineered tomatoes Sig's Avatar
    Michigan -- If you don’t like the weather, blink!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My first VFT survived for a year on my windowsill. The traps were small, but it divided like nuts, probably being at least 20 separable plants. It died when I tried to put it into dormancy after being convinced that it was so important. Later, I started using distilled and rain water which was such a pain to deal with (being convinced it was so important), I don't anymore, and my plants are fine. I think if you have an okay amount of light, your plants won't be perfect, but they certainty won't die on the spot either.
    Formerly known as Silenceisgod!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    they don't really..they might look ok in the short term, but they wont look good in the long-
    term
    so what do i do to save the little vfts?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12