0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dang, those are some messed up VFTs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    man i hate all these new mutated venus flytraps. theyre interesting but hideous also. i like the "monkey ***" clone though. i bet they'll change it to just "monkey butt" but i hope they change it to "sunburned fat guys *** crack" LOL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats just awful..why would anyone want to do that??
    booo...
    If I owned those plants, I would destroy them before their genes can spread..

Scot

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Experience is the best teacher. At least it used to be.
    But then, common sense isn't so common anymore, is it.

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=113866

Eats genetically engineered tomatoes Sig's Avatar
    Michigan -- If you don’t like the weather, blink!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In terms of genetic mutations, survival of the fittest is how the world works and evolves. But remember that "fittest" just means likelihood to pass on genes. That's what is happening here. It doesn't matter that the plants have dysfunctional traps or wouldn't survive in the wild... it is specifically those mutations or more specifically the traits that cause them to stand out amongst the others that makes them "fit". In all likelihood, those freaks of nature will be much, much more successful than their normal counterparts, even if those normal ones get more respect from us (for being able to catch insects). All in all, this is just another niche, and an increasingly common one: Appealing to human's desire for the unusual.

Edit: @scotty, I'm not saying that humans are a perfect part of nature or anything like that. Just that in terms of darwin, this makes perfect sense. When it comes to species survival, natural and artificial selection are both the same... at the fundamental level, it doesn't matter if genes are passed on by humans or bees, the plant doesn't care.
    Formerly known as Silenceisgod!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by silenceisgod View Post
    In terms of genetic mutations, survival of the fittest is how the world works and evolves. But remember that "fittest" just means likelihood to pass on genes. That's what is happening here. It doesn't matter that the plants have dysfunctional traps or wouldn't survive in the wild... it is specifically those mutations or more specifically the traits that cause them to stand out amongst the others that makes them "fit". In all likelihood, those freaks of nature will be much, much more successful than their normal counterparts, even if those normal ones get more respect from us (for being able to catch insects). All in all, this is just another niche, and an increasingly common one: Appealing to human's desire for the unusual.

Just because humans do something, that doesnt automitically make it "right" or "good"!
    We have had this debate before: "humans are part of nature, therefore these man-made genetic mutations are "natural"..I cant agree..
    I think we have arrived to a point where we are "outside of nature"..
    IMO, Humans arent natural!

Scot

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wonderful -- carnivorous plants with performance anxiety. Where can I sign up for a batch of those -- particularly the newer cultivars which resemble massive spider mite infestations?
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast