User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are my Conditions for Dionaea/Sarracenia Too Hot?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright, thanks a lot for the responses guys. I guess I'm going to move my plants back to the sunnier area and just make sure they don't dry out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, I had my mini bog out in a spot that got direct sun from seven in the morning til five at night, and the plants just sorta limped along, and it wasn't until I moved it about ten feet north, getting hours less sunlight, did they start to actually look healthy. Since the soil was fresh as of this spring, I'm willing to bet the black peat heated up really quickly!
    "The plants you grow, end up growing you."

My Grow List:
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=123995

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you should worry more about maybe humidity in your location(i'm guessing you're in arkansas?), I live just 2 hours away from Lake Waccamaw(natural habitad of the VFT), and i can witness that both climates(mine, and their habitad) are the same, with sometimes a few degrees of difference(sometimes is hotter there or colder, humidity might be higher sometimes...etc). and just to let you know, we had a heat wave yesterday, temps of 109F outside, and the same in Lake Waccamaw. Winter is a whole different story here from there, while we get 8-inch of snow, lake waccamaw only gets about 2-inchs, and sometimes we have a 10 degree difference, which is pretty common but it lasts for a short period of time.
    I have been comparing both climates since a year ago, and i should be able to say right now that i just need a huge pot and just leave them outside year round!
    So definitely don't worry about temps but i would say more about humidity.
    and if you want to replicate, or just know how these plants live in the wild, keep an eye on the weather of lake waccamaw. Zip code: 28450. Good luck!

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UnstuckinTime View Post
    ...Since the soil was fresh as of this spring, I'm willing to bet the black peat heated up really quickly!
    A mulch layer of light colored sand or long fibered sphagnum moss (either living or dead) would reflect much of the heat. The observations of Roberts (1958) and Luken (2005) in their papers on VFT habitat reported the plants were growing in mainly white sand or Sphagnum.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12