What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tipitiwitchets in Summer . . .

Here are a few shots of the various cultivars of flytraps enjoying the Summer weather in Northern California -- and catching more than their share of flies and wasps in the process. The fourth photo (of the pale-colored traps with the flies) was a "death cube" rescue from an Orchard Supply Hardware for .99 on a bargain table when I was in college. It has taken about as much punishment as I have; and has improved from its two anemic yellow leaves and blackened flower-stalk . . .

Dionaea muscipula -- various cultivars

B521.jpg

DM-3.jpg

DM2-3.jpg

DM3-1.jpg

DM4.jpg

DM6.jpg

DM7.jpg

Last edited:
Ooh Nice flytraps. :D I wish I could grow mine like that. :I

Stunning......simply stunning......do you have some kind of soil mix or other secret thing that makes them look so big and colorful? :0o:

Egads!

Very nice Big bella!

Stunning......simply stunning......do you have some kind of soil mix or other secret thing that makes them look so big and colorful? :0o:

Thanks all . . .

In answer to your question, my compost is generally a 2:1 mix of sphagnum peat to quartz sand. Occasionally, I'll grow some in either straight peat or long fiver sphagnum. Also, re-potting on an annual basis with fresh materials seems to be beneficial. Other than that, give them as much sun as they'll tolerate . . .

Oooh, nice ! Annual repotting helps I agree. I've noticed that my B-52 from Henning is standing up to abuse far better than all the rest. Illinois summers of hot, humid generally uncomfortable temps seem to not affect it like the others. Gotta figure out why ?

Great looking collection of flytraps!

BigBella - That cant be your real plant growing secret.Do you talk to your plants or gust inject your plants with steroids?

Back