Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How Wet and Other Beginner Questions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, Quinn. Thanks for the advice. I guess I'll keep them outside during the winter then. The refridge idea sounded kind of scary anyway lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always find it interesting what people consider "cold"! Seattle winters are downright tropical compared to the North East and the Upper Midwest! If you generally have winter days *above* freezing..if you get mostly rain all winter, and almost no snow, then its probably fine to leave them outdoors all winter..

Just keep an eye out for days above freezing, but nights below freezing! if you have a cold spell, where nights fall below freezing, then warms up during the day, then below freezing at night again..that could be bad..you want a steady temp of 35-50 degrees all winter..going below freezing once in awhile is ok..VFTs get that in the wild, but you dont want a constant freeze-thaw cycle..

Many of us have to use "the fridge method" because the fridge is much WARMER than outside!
    The fridge is a balmy 35 degrees..nice and warm for the plants..while outside its Zero to 20 degrees all winter, with a deep layer of snow on the ground for months at a time..
    Seattle sounds like a great climate for 24/7/365 outdoor VFT and Sarracenia growing..only drawback might be too much cloudiness..how is the sun situation in Seattle Spring-Summer-Fall? Do you get many bright sunny not-cloudy days? (sunlight in the winter isnt nearly as important..the plants are dormant)

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol, I guess Seattle isn't that cold. I've always heard about blizzards and freezing temps on the east coast, but since I've never experienced winter elsewhere (except one Christmas in Ghana!) Seattle is cold to me haha.

Winter/Spring can get pretty darn cloudy, sometimes 1.5 to 2 weeks with very little moments of sunshine. Summer and Autumn aren't too bad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Plissken View Post

Winter/Spring can get pretty darn cloudy, sometimes 1.5 to 2 weeks with very little moments of sunshine. Summer and Autumn aren't too bad.
    thats probably fine then! should be plenty of light..
    I would put the VFT in a sunny spot..it can take as much sun as you can give it.
    Drosera would be happier in less direct light.

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your Spatulata looks o.k., it should come back fine. They are fairly easy plants. Easy to propagate too.
    Twitter : Tommytimbertoes

This signature removed because of whining little crybabies.

BoooOOOOooooo!!!!! unknownclown's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you got pretty much all the questions answered perfectly and would go with thier advice... I live in Everett just north of seattle and I can pretty much tell ya that they can grow outside no problem. I used to keep mine out on the deck and they did great all year round even thru dormacy. Durring dormacy I would just pull them closer to the house under the eaves...

Just a suggestion if you can get into them try Cobra Lilys they are very cool a very difficult plant to grow pretty much anywhere BUT here they thrive on our weather here in western WA
    I am the weirdo who sits next to you on the bus!

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    D. spatulata does well under lights or at a sunny window sill, or even a terrarium setup.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimscott View Post
    D. spatulata does well under lights or at a sunny window sill, or even a terrarium setup.
    Yup, mine's on a sunny sill and is doing fantastic!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12