What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Venus Flytrap Pics

My venus flytraps are looking good right now, and I thought I would share a couple of pictures. These are being grown outside with full sun most of the day. The medium is one part each of peat, perlite, and quartz sand, and the pots are 10" wide and 5" deep.

"Big Mouth"

DSC03594.jpg

Typical

DSC03596.jpg

I like to grow them like a ground cover.

Woah
How did you do that and how big are thes pots

HOLY SHIRT! :ohno:

Woah
How did you do that and how big are thes pots

The pots are 10" wide and 5" deep. There are quite a few plants in each pot to begin with, but they tend to multiply vegetatively, and the pots get pretty packed by August. They really don't need a lot of sideways room for their roots anyway. They're the easiest things in the world to grow if you just keep a few things in mind (Sun, medium, water, winter dormancy, etc.). Believe it or not, I started with one of each variety several years ago, and I have even given away or sold bunches of them every spring since.

I swear you people are magicians! How in the heck do you do that? I can grow villosa.. but not a VFT.

I swear you people are magicians! How in the heck do you do that? I can grow villosa.. but not a VFT.

I just started putting them outside in the sun, and off they went. I know what you are saying, though. There are still some plants I can't seem to get away with growing well for some reason. For instance, N. ventricosa used to be in my "can't grow that" category (N. Ventricosa!). That finally got sorted out, magically and without my skill, but it was maddening for a while because everyone else seemed to find them so incredibly easy to grow.

What would happen if you made holes in the sides of the pots? Would they start growing and making psuedo "branches" with traps out of them?

And if you divided the pots, about how many plants do you think you'd end up with? I mean, what do you do when you repot them? Do you just end up with bigger and bigger pots until they're an area the size of your house and start eating neighborhood pets? How do you deal with the national guard?

SO MANY QUESTIONS.

Outstanding...

Looks like if you set off one it would create a domino effect! Amaazing

What would happen if you made holes in the sides of the pots? Would they start growing and making psuedo "branches" with traps out of them?

And if you divided the pots, about how many plants do you think you'd end up with? I mean, what do you do when you repot them? Do you just end up with bigger and bigger pots until they're an area the size of your house and start eating neighborhood pets? How do you deal with the national guard?

SO MANY QUESTIONS.

I prefer that the National Guard doesn't get involved. I can't remember how many individuals I planted in those two pots when I repotted in the spring, but I had about that many extras from what I thinned out of last year's growth. As for the safety of the neighborhood pets, a few of the local cats did go missing one year, and the neighbors were regarding me with suspicion, but they couldn't prove anything and nothing ever came of it.

That's a lot of traps! I've never seen a carpeting that thick and healthy. How long did it take for them to fill the pots? And they're so red! Mine are in full sun and barely have any red...

To feed them, I bet you just take ants and drop them over. You don't have to force them into the traps. :D

That's a lot of traps! I've never seen a carpeting that thick and healthy. How long did it take for them to fill the pots? And they're so red! Mine are in full sun and barely have any red...

They start getting thick like that when the hot weather comes in July. In the spring after I repot you can see plenty of soil between them. I don't know about the red. They are growing in full sun, but they don't get it all day. I remember Steve (Elgecko) saying something about that. Some of his actually got more color if they didn't get sun all day.

Wolfn: I never feed my venus flytraps. I figure they can get their own outside.

I have some experimenting to do then. You made me want to get some different cultivars next spring. I have 3 types of typicals, all with different growth habits.

Back