Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Do these VFTs look healthy?

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I keep my VFT pot in a container that has holes along the perimeter, that are ~3/4" from the bottom. On rainy days I don't water them. On rainless days I water from above, providing constant drainage.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Natalie View Post
    Cool, I will try that. Right now they are just in the substrate they came in, which from what I can tell looks to be mostly peat. You're right, it doesn't seem too airy. Is the best time to repot them during their dormancy period? Also, I've been wondering about how to treat them during the winter. We get all of our rain in the winter, so should I take them out of the tray and just let them sit out since they like to be a bit drier that time of year?
    Yes, re-pot them either just as they are going into dormancy, or in the spring when they start growing again.

I think since you are in zone 8 or something, you can keep them outside year round without any problems. Just make sure they are not sopping wet and they will be okay. What temps do you get in the winter exactly?

---------- Post added at 06:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:42 PM ----------

I've never actually overwintered my plants outside before, what I said above is based on stuff I've read. Just saying. :P

Look here for some good info: http://www.flytrapcare.com/venus-fly-trap-dormancy.html

Emerald City, currently free of flying monkeys.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you keep them in a tray of water at all times?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Devon - I'm on the border of zones 9b and 10a. Temperatures below 30F/-1C are uncommon, though we usually have a few frosty mornings each winter. Venus Flytraps should be fine in the winter here except for the fact that it rains so much. I don't want them to start rotting in the winter because it's too damp.

Crofthulhu - Yes, they are sitting in a tray of water, though the water is less than an inch deep to keep the soil from being waterlogged.

Emerald City, currently free of flying monkeys.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Natalie View Post
    Crofthulhu - Yes, they are sitting in a tray of water, though the water is less than an inch deep to keep the soil from being waterlogged.
    If you are keeping them in a tray of water at all times, then you are keeping them too wet. Venus flytraps benefit from letting the soil dry out maybe half an inch to an inch from the top. To check I will usually poke a hole and feel with my finger.

Here is a pic of one of my venus pots. I will usually let it dry a little more than this before watering again. Sorry about the penny in the picture.. I'm re-using a pic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I keep mine sitting in a little bit of water and they do fine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've read a few places that keeping them in a bit of water all the time is preferable in hot, dry climates so the plants don't become dessicated. I think if I took them out of the water the substrate would become a brick after the first day! Our humidity here often drops to 20-25% or lower during the day (Wednesday we had 14% humidity), which I think would be even harder on the plants if they weren't sitting in water.

I think the real problem here is the substrate... I took out a few chunks of substrate of the Red Dragon pot, and it smelled strongly of marsh gas. That means the soil is hypoxic and the anaerobic bacteria are having a ball in there. In this case, would it be best to repot the plants now rather than wait till the winter? Also, from what I could tell, the substrate seems to be 100% peat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, that doesn't sound good! You can probably re-pot them now, but I would be worried about stress because they are still growing during this time. I have never re-potted my plants at this time though, so I can't really say for sure if it will put them in a lot of stress. As long as you are "saving" your plants from death, then it's all good.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast