Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Do these VFTs look healthy?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Natalie View Post
    Thanks guys. Nepguy, yours look incredible! I hope mine will look as good as that someday. A few days ago I saw a mature B52 in the same size of pot as your plants, and WOW! The traps seriously looked like they could have eaten the mice I feed my snakes, they must have been 3" long.
    I wouldn't mind getting some of those B52s sometime. I tend to like bigger varieties that hold their traps close to the soil, and I think B52s do that. I had a nice large-trapped "Walmart" variety for a while, growing similarly to the ones I posted, but the plants held their traps up high on long leaves and petioles, and I realized I didn't like that.

Emerald City, currently free of flying monkeys.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottychaos View Post
    That goes against decades of experience from..well..everyone!

No, keeping them is a tray of water at all times is NOT keeping them too wet..in fact, its perfect, and exactly what you want to do..especially during the growing season, Spring-Summer-Autumn..I would also not let the top layer dry out..that could be bad.
    It's not bad, I do it all the time..

Quote Originally Posted by scottychaos View Post
    basically, that is all very bad advice that no one should ever follow..
    Scot
    I've gotten this advice from someone who has part ownership of one of the best places I've ever ordered flytraps from. Best quality I have ever seen, hands down. I'm going to quote him:

Soggy conditions promote the growth of the kind of bacteria that thrives without air and that would in fact not grow much or at all in conditions with plenty of air. These anaerobic bacteria love to eat vegetative matter including Venus Flytraps. When the soil is kept too wet too often, these bacteria can easily begin to rot the "bulb" of the Venus Flytrap.

Venus Flytraps are not aquatic plants, nor do they prefer conditions as wet as many Sarracenia and Darlingtonia frequently experience. Venus Flytraps live in sandy savannahs, nutrient poor grasslands and barrens that have a relatively high water table, but are not swamps, lakesides or bogs, although Venus Flytraps can survive in some of those conditions under certain circumstances.

In cultivation, it is much better to aim for "moist, not wet" with Venus Flytraps. Of course you need to get them wet to water them thoroughly, but then the medium should be allowed to dry to just moist before watering again, or if using the tray of water method, allow the water to completely dry from the tray before filling it again, for example.

During dormancy with cooler temperatures and less light, never allow the plants to stay too wet for too long. I personally water thoroughly in the morning (only every 8-15 days or more) so that the medium can begin to dry out before nightfall and lower temperatures.

Moist, not wet; never soggy for long, nor completely dry.
    Following this guy's advice, my venus flytraps look better than they have ever looked.
    I wouldn't go as far as to say that it's bad advice to follow, this guy DOES help run a successful business.

and my venus flytraps look pretty darn good following his advice I'd say:

Edit: I just want to say that I am NOT some expert.. but I completely understand that this method doesn't work for everyone, like I said, I rarely get days over 80 degrees. When I do I have to water much more frequently, so I understand not watering can cause a complete dry-out and kill the plants where people have "normal" weather.
    Last edited by Crofthulhu; 08-31-2011 at 12:38 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never seen VFTs vein like that, Croft.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wire Man View Post
    I've never seen VFTs vein like that, Croft.
    Yeah.. part of the reason I like that one so much. It's called Maroon Monster.

edit: just clicked your deviantart link...

amazing photographs!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want one.... they look so pretty!
    Thanks! I have more photos in the Meadowview thread in general discussions.

I have noticed that flytraps will grow very quickly in a majority sand mix, let's say 75% sand, 25% peat. It matches their natural habitat more accurately. If you can get away with it, pure sand seems to work very well too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wire Man View Post
    I want one.... they look so pretty!
    Thanks! I have more photos in the Meadowview thread in general discussions.

I have noticed that flytraps will grow very quickly in a majority sand mix, let's say 75% sand, 25% peat. It matches their natural habitat more accurately. If you can get away with it, pure sand seems to work very well too.
    I have read on another forum where somebody is currently growing their VFT in all silica sand.. sounds awesome and seems to work really well! Something I must try.. someday.

I buy a pre-mixed de-salinated silicia sand/coir mix. If I have none of that I have experimented with orchid bark/perlite/peat mixtures and the VFT I have it in LOVE it. Other than that I just use peat/perlite.

.. too much prettiness in that thread to comprehend... I will have a bunch of fun looking through that thread of yours Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crofthulhu View Post
    I have read on another forum where somebody is currently growing their VFT in all silica sand.. sounds awesome and seems to work really well! Something I must try.. someday.

I buy a pre-mixed de-salinated silicia sand/coir mix. If I have none of that I have experimented with orchid bark/perlite/peat mixtures and the VFT I have it in LOVE it. Other than that I just use peat/perlite.
    Where do you get that premade mix, Croft? Locally?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    natalie, you had that self-watering system for your Darlingtonia, didn't you? I'm sure your plants would be absolutely thrilled if you expanded that system to a big grow tray with a reservoir and a pond pump

Tons of aeration, much less worrying over root rot during dormancy, and having your plants on a raised bed will keep your curious pooch from trying to repot your plants hehe (works for my dog)...

just tryin to spur the DIYer in ya
    Grow to learn, learn to grow.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast