What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

VFT growing in pine needles

The success of this will also depend on the type of pine (or fir or spruce, or whatever Pinaceae...). It would be cool to try this with many different types of needles and make a list of which ones work and which don't. I've wanted to try this with ponderosa pine needles, but haven't gotten the chance yet, so this is really cool to see that it can be successful at least with some types of needles.
I would assume that trees used for orchid bark (including ponderosa pine and douglas fir... others?) would also have needles that are safe for growing many CP's.
Other pines that grow along with CP's in the wild would probably also work, as thier needles get mixed in with the soil over the years

I recently mulched my bog with douglass fir needles to add some acid back into the soil...much more attractive than yellow grains of sulfer.

What about oak leaves? Or redwood litter? Don't have pines near my house, but I do have plenty of oaks and redwoods.

I would not suggest using oak leaves as they harbor some kind of fungus that will play havoc with your CPs, at least where I live on Oregon. I have successfully used maple leaves, palm acre leaves, and douglas fir pine needles as mulch over winter and them remove in spring. I have noticed that the pine needles will rot if used in pots inside, but have had no problem outside.

It would kinda make sense that flytraps do well in pine needles since they live in acid bogs. Awesome experiment if my fly trap collection gets larger at some point ill definately try this experiment

Wow, I do want to try this also. I have all the pines needles I could ever want and more in my backyard. Pine needles are also great for covering blueberry bushes for the winter.

The last few VFT videos that I saw VFT in the wild did have pine trees around.

Back